Pig Roast question

I would do a 85 to 100 pound dressed weight for 60 - 70. I assume 50% yield if there is no head on pig and 1/3 to 1/5 pound cooked meat per person depending on crowd make up and other food

What Bljack said will be plenty. Myself I would blend one or two additional butts in with the hog. I just think a small hog with less fat benefits from the fat of the butts added and mixed when pulling.

Always figure 1 serving per lb of pig. 100# pig will yeild about 100 5-6 oz servings.

a 100 lb hog head off feet off will reel about 75 to 80 lbs of meat
don't forget the pr0n

Is there a reason for serving a whole pig? If no reason go with pork butts and you and your guest will be happy, also easier

I believe a 6 lb. pork roast will feed 15 people.hog roast

I figure 50% yield from head on dressed weight, so 80# dressed yields 40# edible which comes down to about 80-100 people. Am I way off on this?

You will normally get 40% yield from a dressed pig (head off). This is with a 100 Lb. or up pig. The yield will be less than 40% if the pig is smaller than 100 Lb. The ratio of bones and scrap is higher with a smaller pig.

Hawg for a crowd

I disagree if you are going to do something for the first time for a crowd, a whole hawg is the way to go, as a whole hawg is very forgiving....as long as you leave the lid closed for most of the cook and you do not severely under cook or over cook it. If does not taste as great as you want it....add more sauce:grin:

You are brave serving your first hog to a crowd!

How much meat will you get?

I always use the rule of 1.5 pounds of whole hog (head off) per person. Meaning about 60-65 pounds for a 100.lb hawg. Especially, if you chop instead of pull or cut. That has always been good for me and usually had some left over. Just my experience, I love to cook whole hawg and only ran out once for a catering job, because the clients had 25 more people show than expected.

I have to disagree. A 100 Lb. pig head off will yield 40 Lbs of meat tops.

I just have a little more pride in my cooking I guess. Masking with sauce would not occur to me. Their is a lot of work to prepping a good hog. It's not just slap it on the smoker and start cooking. Sorry i got off your subject Will Just do your research and it will be all good.

The reason we are cooking a whole hog is just for fun. I've always wanted to do one so we got our friends and family together as guinea pigs. We cooked a 65lb pig head on and had plenty of meat left over. It came out great. In fact a few people said it was the best thing we ever cooked.

Since posting the original post, My buddy and I have done 3 pig roast, we have been working with the formula of 1lb of dressed pig per person an we've had pleanty of left overs.

Back