Steamship Round and Round and Round and ....

Redheart

is one Smokin' Farker
Well I finally made it up to Vermilion Ohio for my friends wedding. I want to thank all of you that chimed in when I was looking for advice on cooking the Steamship Round but also those who helped me locate a cooker.

On Thursday, I picked up the joint of beef at the Restaurant Depot on the outskirts of Cleveland. It weighed in at 56.7lbs and rang up at $2.29/lb. I neglected to take any pics of her nekkid, but I did get pics of her after she was dressed in her skimpy outfit of garlic cloves and rub.

DSCF1018.jpg

The cooker I ended up renting on Friday did not have a spit rotisserie, it had a basket style rotisserie.

DSCF1019.jpg

Also since I had never used this cooker I dropped in about 10lbs of Royal Oak and did a test run to see how well she came up and held temp. This was a critical step and I highly recommend this to anyone who ends up in a similar situation. I learned quite a bit during this practice burn and it served me very well for the cook on Saturday. For instance I learned that there was quite a difference in the heat distribution from the top of the basket to the bottom of the basket.

DSCF1032.jpg

I unfortunately had to cut along the 'gam' in order to get the meat to wrap around the center shaft and remain more or less balanced. I almost wept as I made the incision. I pulled out my butcher's twine and performed a little cosmetic surgery to help close up the gash.

DSCF1020.jpg

After I got her trussed and in the basket I dusted and gently rubbed her with a liberal amount of ground black pepper.

DSCF1021.jpg

Here she is showing her more trim profile

DSCF1023.jpg

She went back into the walk-in until the following morning.

On Saturday I arrived onsite at a little after 6am and started to get going. I built a small fire in the cooker and put the meat on at 7am when the temperature was at 200*.

DSCF1025.jpg

I smoked her at approximately 220* from 7 till 11am. This what she looked at 11am.

DSCF1033.jpg

At this time I also added more charcoal and opened her up to get the temp up to 350*. I 'mopped' her with a little mop sauce I made up at 11am, noon, 1, 2, and 3pm.

Here she is at the 2pm check in.

DSCF1034.jpg

I pulled her at 3 and set her in an Alto Sham to rest till serving time at 6:30.

DSCF1041.jpg

After all I did have a dozen birds to smoke up and needed to get them on as well. I also borrowed A.P. Lang's recipe for melting garlic and had to get that going as well.

Here she is on the buffet line just before serving time.

DSCF1048.jpg

The pan closest to the front has a BBQ Au Jus I concocted from the drippings, BBQ Sauce, butter and a little bit of Beam. It was quite tasty. The big round pan has the Melting Garlic.

DSCF1047.jpg

You can see some of the smoked chicken under the acrylic dome on the right. I smoked whole birds and then split them into quarters for serving.

DSCF1046.jpg

In truth I was a bit disappointed as I looked at her being carved up. People were raving about how good it was. But I thought she was over done. She looked grey and dry. I managed a slice and wondered how could something this grey and dull taste so wonderful.

DSCF1049.jpg

Boy was I wrong. this is what she looked like after coming off the serving line.

DSCF1054.jpg

I guess the combination of blue tarp and the heat lamp really played tricks with the colour meat as it was being cut.

Should be soup, stew and shepherd's pie enough for this week. Not to mention bones enough for several dogs.

I will gladly do more of these if asked. It was tasty, tender and received high praise from everyone, including the restaurant staff.

Nice job!!

I used to cook those beasts at a Howard Johnson's when I was in high school. I loved it in an oven and can only imagine it over a hickory and mesquite fire.... Gotta find a good butcher and now!!!!

Nice job!!

I used to cook those beasts at a Howard Johnson's when I was in high school. I loved it in an oven and can only imagine it over a hickory and mesquite fire.... Gotta find a good butcher and now!!!!

It was wonderful. I personally think the choice of smoking it low for a few hours was keys to the flavour profile. But ya need a little temp to get that delicate and tender texture.

nice job on the food! What were your impressions of Vermilion? I fish out of there in the fall and always thought it was a nice town.

Nice job, everything looks great. What did you think of APL's melting garlic? I made some a couple weeks ago and it was the hit of the party. Over two days, I bet I ate about 30 cloves. I couldn't believe how much EVOO the garlic soaked up.

Whew, good to see it turned out well, when I saw you had lost your smoker connection, I thought this is gonna be bad. Looks like you nailed it. Nice work.

Whats does your problem (Your CORRECT impressions of doneness conflicting with what the customer wants or enjoys) have to do with my predicament with Fajitas. Below will be my advice on this little bit of catering self professing prophecy.

FIRST - Invest or build your own steamship rack FOR SERVING and you will never be sorry. This contraption holds the bone facing up. If you are real ambitious make it swivel. You simply hold the bone, slice down, spin to deliver the customer's desired degree of doneness - provided you cook it correctly to a deep temp of between 135-145 and let it rest.

ON the TEMP, Rare, Medium Rare and such:

I hear ya on thinking it was too done - by the book - it was and it happens to all of us. Of course you could have my luck... last year I decided to grace my church with TRADITIONAL fajita skirt steak - this means cooking the steaks roughly 2-5 minutes per side for an optimum plating of medium rare meat. For some REASON... I had like 200 out of 220 guest prefer well done - WFT I thought. (I should have known because I cooked a smaller set of strip roasts and no one wanted the medium rare one) Texas has changed - they all THINK fajitas are sliced then griddled like applbees and rarely did I see anyone that had been to a fajita cook off.

View attachment 53928
Fajitas the RIGHT way

So its next year and I am wracking my brain trying to think how I am gonna deliver the grilled experience to medium and deliver tender meat?

I had the same predicament when people wanted the strip roasts again - I am like --- of you like your damn beef well done then do a brisket!!!!! Strips are best and juiciest at med rare or under - and I also shutter everytime I see a damn clod cooked to 205 here - its NUTZ I think - they have ruined (or gone beyond the limits of the cut) by overcooking the clod when it would be perfect on a brisket - in short--- a brisket is at its zenith well done - a clod (true clod) is at it zenith rare to medium and NEITHER can be the other.

MY predicament - I can't seem to get an "inside" into how long a skirt steak has to pre cook in an oven before you can grill it, and have it be tender. From what I have heard... its a damn long time. Maybe even longer than brisket. LOL

View attachment 53929
Fajitas the Wrong way - but right to the Majority????

So - I understand why a group can say this is delicious while you may feel "hey, it over done" and indeed it can be overdone by the book. But then, as we all know, chicken turn ins are supposed to be served as quarters only, with no sauce and no garnish. :)

So the advice? The customer is always right, even when you are too and thereby your being right makes the customer wrong. :doh:

Believe me, you cook something they don't like, they will let you know.

Last edited:
Nice job, everything looks great. What did you think of APL's melting garlic? I made some a couple weeks ago and it was the hit of the party. Over two days, I bet I ate about 30 cloves. I couldn't believe how much EVOO the garlic soaked up.

Melting garlic sounds great, but I can't find a recipe anywhere. Help?
Thanks.

nice job on the food! What were your impressions of Vermilion? I fish out of there in the fall and always thought it was a nice town.

Thanks for the complement on the food.

I like Vermilion a lot, it is quite a nice town. But I have to admit I went crazy looking for ancho or something similar. Their idea of ethnic food is the 'Hispanic' aisle in Food Giant, which consisted of Old El Paso Products.:confused:

I even went to the farmers market and the girl looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for ancho, chamaya or hatch powder. I don't have that problem in my little town in GA.

And your cholesterol level wnet down 30 points!:clap2:

Whew, good to see it turned out well, when I saw you had lost your smoker connection, I thought this is gonna be bad. Looks like you nailed it. Nice work.

Only goes to show ... It ain't the cooker; it's the cook!:becky:

Nailing it was nice. I have to admit I was worried when I saw it being sliced under the heat lamps. Man, I thought I had really screwed it up. But it really was nice and pink, just the way it should be. It is amazing how the colour of the light can really fool ya.

Back