• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What is the best smoker for less than $500

B

bo_gator

I got a simple question, what is the best smoker for less than $500 :?:

You're gonna get a whole bunch of opinions on that one...I'd give some more details, like what you're planning to do with it.

that being said, a WSM (18 or 22, depending on what type of capacity you'll need), is in that price range, and they are easy to use, and perform very well.

Here is simple. Take $100. Build a UDS. More than likely have money left over. Use leftover money for beer and meat. Nuff said.

You can build a nice uds for under $100. Thats the route id go, put up the rest of the money and save it for a rainy day or another smoker or two or three or four...

No such thing as the best smoker, but it's hard to beat an Akorn for the money (about $299 around here)- excellent smoker, and you can do much more with it, too.

WSM for me. Have cooked on a couple of UDSs as well, nice cookers as well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I've never cooked on a WSM, but I have no doubt they are great. I do have a UDS though, and I am kind of amazed by it, especially for the how little it cost.

WSM

No shelves, no wheels, no handles, no place to put the lid, non insulated, gets hot on the outside, no ash pan, difficult to add wood chunks during a cook, difficult access to meat on the lower rack, not good for grilling, flimsy door, primative vents, leaks air, possible fire hazard, burns fuel like its free, overpriced.

Other than that..it's all good.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your not into making a UDS Your not going to go wrong with a WSM or an Akorn

I agree these are the three best answers. Or at least the most common ones you'll get in these parts! :laugh:

My master forge el cheapo for 60 bucks was a great smoker for a few years for me to learn the craft on. I did have to drill a few holes to promote airflow. lots of cooking space and easy to access coal and wood design. It is a nicer than the ECB by design, but not as nice as a WSM.

I've recently graduated to an Akorn and what a great product that is at $300.

one of the best smokers i've used was my homemade terra cotta pot smoker (in my avatar). It cost around $50 bucks but that is because I already had the big pot.

Back