• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

chili cookoff question

rxcellentq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am cooking the Grillin on the Bay event this Saturday. Entered the chili cookoff for the fun of it and besides it helps the school. I have a few questions. Do we serve the chili to guests as they walk around or do we turn in our chili. if we turn it in do they heat it up or do we have to bring it up to temp.

First, direct your questions to them. Every "open" chili contest I've seen is different,
one way or another. However, I've never seen them heat it up after turn-in, so I'd
assume that you'll be putting it in some type of styrofoam cup, HOT. They may have
a crowd hand-out, may not. Some do a crowd favorite vote... Again, ask. Also, is
it sanctioned, or just "open". If sanctioned, it's likely to be CASI. You'll want to
read up on their definition of chili. Seriously, they define it fairly strictly as Texas Red,
meaning no beans or other filler or chunks of vegetables; pretty much meat & gravy.
If open, anything goes... If CASI you'll have to make it from scratch on-site, not
even a store bought mix of seasonings can be used. Again, if open, you'll want to
ask. Some allow pre-made chili, others require on-site.

Break a leg!!

I have been there last year and will be cooking chili ahead of time for this year.
You turn it in per the schedule fairly early which I don't have handy in front of me, preferably hot but they may provide sternos or something like that to help keep it warm.
The rules are wide open, no ICS or CASI as best I know BUT,
I still refuse to use beans or other foreign objects in my chili.

That will leave you time to concentrate on the other main entries if you are doing them.
I think they hope for about 2 gallons which is what I am shooting for.
As per above, send an email to the organizer for final clarification.
Good luck and hope to see you there, I am cooking the entire event with my buddy Brian of Ma's Que Crew.
Wes

If you are handing it out to the public, just remember to save enough for the judging cup.

This is purely a "people's choice contest" and pretty loose, as Wes said. If they run it the same as last year (and Robert hasn't mentioned that it will be any different), the organizers will have several tables set up in a square in the church basement. These tables will have chafing dishes with sternos (last year there were about 30). You will bring your chili (heated and ready to serve) in an insert pan that you will put into a chafing dish. You will have a number (and a name of your chili, if you supplied one to the organizers) on a placard in front of your entry. The crowd pays (I think) $10 to participate and they stroll around the table helping themselves to chili. (Spoons and dishes are provided by the organizers.) The crowd votes on their favorite chili on paper ballots (I think, I wasn't there for that part last year, being busy winning first prize in the Sawz-all turn-in at that time.) I supplied my own insert pans last year, but I'm not sure that the organizers didn't have some on hand for the less foresighted. I think I brought my own serving spoons, too. You will need to carry your chili from the school parking lot to the church basement. Experience tells me that you should bring a sturdy pan that will not have a tendency to fold up under the weight of your chili.

not to hijack the thread about chili...but in regards to grillin on the bay, which this will be our first time competing at this event... the chef's choice rules state that the entry cannot qualify for the categories...does that mean no chicken dish, no beef/steak dish? that doesn't leave a lot other than pork seafood or veggies...any help would be appreciated

not to hijack the thread about chili...but in regards to grillin on the bay, which this will be our first time competing at this event... the chef's choice rules state that the entry cannot qualify for the categories...does that mean no chicken dish, no beef/steak dish? that doesn't leave a lot other than pork seafood or veggies...any help would be appreciated

That's exactly what it means. No beef, chicken or pork for chef's choice.

3MBB will be competing there in all the categories, any of those teams who have responded opting to sell any product?

Last edited:
That's exactly what it means. No beef, chicken or pork for chef's choice.

I understand no beef no chicken but not clear on pork. the third catagory is ribs (babyback or spare) I took that to mean that a pork tenderloin would be ok for chefs choice. Is that ok?

I understand no beef no chicken but not clear on pork. the third catagory is ribs (babyback or spare) I took that to mean that a pork tenderloin would be ok for chefs choice. Is that ok?

According to the Cook's Packet:

"Chef’s Choice[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]: Item presented must [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]not [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]qualify in any of the preceding categories. No desserts."[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]Since the ribs category is pretty specific about what a rib is:[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]"Ribs are defined as; Baby back ribs ([FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]a.k.a. [/FONT][/FONT]back ribs, [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]a.k.a. [/FONT][/FONT]baby backs, [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]a.k.a. [/FONT][/FONT]loin back ribs, a.k.a. loin ribs, [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]a.k.a. [/FONT][/FONT]Canadian back ribs) [FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]or [/FONT][/FONT]Spare Ribs[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]... Rib meat must be submitted on the bone. "[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]I would say that a pork tenderloin would not qualify in the rib category and therefore should be fine in the chef's choice category. But you could confirm with Robert to be sure.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

BTW, I am sure I used a Pork Loin one year at GotB, but I'm not sure what the other categories were that year.

[FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic][FONT=Century Gothic,Century Gothic]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back