Roll Call. Inside 30 days. BrickStreet BBQ - Marietta OH June 5-7

I am one registered, I dont know the other from Marietta, but, the guys from Oil City are real good guys.....

If anyone is looking for a contest that is family oriented this one seems to fit the bill.....not huge payouts, but, if in the OH, WV, and IN area it would be reasonable as far as expenses....and heck, bring some antiques along as well, they are going to have the antiques road show folks there too, you could have a mint sitting around, and not even know it.
I want to see the folks down there benefit from wanting to put on something for the community and raise money for a great cause. Lots of live music...and from what they told me about last years event, (without a bbq contest), the public down there really support the event. Hope to see some more teams down there....

I spoke to the organizer yesteday. They have a handful of verbals yet to send in forms. Here's hoping the numbers increase....but it certainly is easier to finish in the money with fewer teams : )
..seriously.. for the future of the event..I hope we can get another dozen or so competitors.

Did they get the State Championship Proclamation yet from the Governor?

Also, they might have a better chance of getting some more teams if the organizer would have the courtesy of responding to emails sent to him about the contest.

Maybe Mr. Brawley could spend some time promoting the contest himself. You might want to inform him of this website as a way to do so. I sent him an email expressing interest in the contest along with some questions. That was over 6 weeks ago. To date no response.

His attitude shows me he doesn't care about the contest or the cooks.

Have him prove me wrong!

The last thing Ohio needs is another bad contest.

This is definitely shaping up to be another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input..
I had no idea there were "communications" issues.
I'll contact them today and see what I can dig up.
Hope you're still interested.

Rok,

This is in no way directed at you. I know that you would like to see your local BBQ contest succeed and so would I. I would just like to see that the organizer is involved with this contest and that this is not just an add on to their festival. I'm hoping that someone associated with the contest has had experience with competition BBQ. Some of the questions that I have are as follows:

1. Will this contest be designated an Ohio State Championship?
2. Is the prize money listed (4,000) guaranteed or does it depend on a certain participation level (ex 20 teams).
3. What is the payout per category? I'm assuming a payout to top five in each category per KCBS rules. Is this correct?
4. How readily available is water and electricity?
5. What are the size of the available spaces (i.e. 20x20, 20x 30)

With teams investing anywhere from $600-$1,000 per contest these questions are important to teams that may be sitting on the fence or don't even know about this contest at all and are looking for a contest to put on their schedule. There are lots of teams here in Ohio, KY, IN, and PA that could attend this contest.

Thanks in helping to get these questions answered.

Dallas

Oh I totally understand..and oh yea..I'd love this thing to become a great event over the next few years..nothing like a sanctioned event in your backyard.

I spoke to one of the other organizers and got answers to your questions:

1. Will this contest be designated an Ohio State Championship?
Not this year..they are hoping to get it for next year.

2. Is the prize money listed (4,000) guaranteed or does it depend on a certain participation level (ex 20 teams).
Yup... it's guaranteed no matter how many teams

3. What is the payout per category? I'm assuming a payout to top five in each category per KCBS rules. Is this correct?
The payouts are top 5 in each catergory plus for grand and reserve.
http://www.colonytheatre.com/pub/pdf/BBQ_cash_prizes.pdf

4. How readily available is water and electricity?
Water and Electricity should be available at each space
110V 20A electricity and water from a hose hookup

5. What are the size of the available spaces (i.e. 20x20, 20x 30)
Both 20X30 and 20X50 are available..the larger space is an extra $100
A vendor fee is also $100 if you would like to sell food (obviously vendors need to be get the required food permits

I hope this answers your questions and you are still interested. This is the first year for the organizers and I'm sure they will learn how to run the event better for next year.

btw....I am local..so if you have questions about the area or need anything should you decide to attend...don't hesitate to ask.

Rok,

Thanks for the answers to the questions. If the payout is guaranteed then I think we should try and keep the contest a secret!:-D

Just kidding. I hope the contest does well. It would be nice to see you get 15 teams the first year. We'll definitely consider it. Thanks again!

Dallas

Rok...glad to see that you got your entry in as well....I am looking forward to it....communication has been good, after entering and getting a different lady as a contact person...it is disappointing the the Gov does not sign proclimations...which makes no sense at all....God forbid that we may actually have some more people coming into the state to spend money or something terrible like that.....
Anyway, any insight or advice you would like please feel free to get in touch with me, and I will be more than happy to help you out in any way possible....afterall, we want to get you hooked, like we know you will be!!!

Something about the statement that the Governor doesn't sign proclamaitons doesn't ring true. Strickland will be running for re-election next year so he's been in office since January 2007. The Kettering and Sharonville contests are relatively new contests and would have gotten proclamations signed by Strickland wouldn't they?

Maybe he doesn't sign them for free? Pay to play in Ohio now? I hope not!

What I hear is that, in Ohio, it requires legislation, not a simple proclamation. The organizers of the event worked on our local rep, but she was hesitant to sponsor legislation since there are already other events designated as state championships.
You know, it's really no big deal..it's more about the competition than a title to me anyways.
It's a first year event..if it goes well, I'm sure they will make another run at getting a title next year.

I've never heard of that before Rok. Politicians put out proclamations at a drop of a hat, its good PR. I'll ask Jim Ferguson who runs the Kettering contest about that. It may be that you started too high with a state rep and she didn't understand what you wanted.

I know your somewhat new to competition BBQ but let me say this, a state proclamation is a big deal to most competitors. Also from what I understand if you word it carefully, like the first Saturday in June, you only have to get one proclamation. If you word it date specific you need to get one each year or have the contest on that date each year (which doesn't work out too well).

I know your KCBS reps would now the process of getting a proclamation since they've run comps in the past. Might want to check with them as well.

They have been working with the reps for 2 months on getting it done. I'm sure they've tried all the normal avenues.

As I said, I'm not concerned about it. If folks decide not to show because it's not a state championship..so be it.
Personally..the fact that they allow multiple state championships just, cheapens the title.
There can truely be only one state champion..If there are many, then there are none.

That's not really the point. If you win a contest that is a designated state championship you get in the draw for the Jack Daniel's Invitational and an invite to the American Royal. These are the world championships of BBQ and they mean a lot to most competitors.

I will be there, if for anything, to just try to support a new Ohio contest....but, it is something that I do hope in the future, in order to get it to grow, that they can get a proclimation....it means a lot....but, I will have fun either way, meet some new people, and spread the spirit of BBQ to others.....see ya in a few weeks....

I know that there are not many going to this one, but, looking forward to seeing you all down there.....calling to see if I can set up Thursday night......anyone interested in doing a pot luck on Friday night after the cooks meeting?
I am actually going to be in the area from Tuesday night on through because my girlfriend has clients to see in the area, so if ya feel the need, come rescue me!!

They will be setting up the lot beginning Thursday evening around 5:30.
I'm going to pop down there and see if I can help out laying out the lot and installing the fencing. I was told we should be able to begin setting up Thursday night if we want to after everything gets laid out. I'm probably at least going to pick out a nice spot and drop off Brutus down there...then bring the rest of the stuff down friday morning. A pot luck sounds fun..we're considering up until about 10pm to be social hour anyways : )

Cool....if you want, can you contact anyone down there that you know, and let them know about the pot luck idea. I will also call the office, and let her know that we want to do that, and that anyone associated with the Colony Theatre, Sponsors, etc...etc...etc....are welcome to bring a dish and socialize....let them see that it is about more than the cookoff.......

I just called Becky and let her know about the invite to the pot luck for anyone involved....she said she would pass along the information to everyone.....see ya probably Thursday night.......told her that I would come help out after 5:30....

Back