MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
AzQer
Full Fledged Farker

Default Help Rating Box #2

Here was our turn in for pulled pork

Any and all comments please
SMG Smoker
Treager BBQ100
KCBS CBJ #24174
BBQ Brethren Arizona Chapter
BBQ Brethren Drum Corp
AzQer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

More meat, less green. Otherwise you are tright on. Fill up that box with meat... Maybe a spritz of something at the end to keep it moist looking?

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Best looking box of the three.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
eurycea
Knows what a fatty is.

The box looks good. However when I've judged I've found that pork entries that have 6 scoops tend to be drier and colder. I'd consider putting it all in one big pile.
eurycea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Could that box potentially be considered "sculpted" ?

I like it overall. It's a nice box and I'd give it an 8 (but the semi-packed meat balls reminds me of a can of tuna or cat food).
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Bigmista

I like the design. I would use more meat and less parsley.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Could that box potentially be considered "sculpted" ?
It is permitted to provide 6 scoops (ice cream scoop) of pulled pork in a turn in box.
Previous: BWS Competitor (sold 2012), WSM - 18.5" (2009, sold 2011), WSM - 18.5" (2004, sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen, Yellow MK4, Fireboard, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
Bentley
Babbling Farker

I looked at that box and said I do not know how you would make that better! That is excellent=9
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
More meat, less green. Otherwise you are tright on. Fill up that box with meat... Maybe a spritz of something at the end to keep it moist looking?

I just do not get this thinking...

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."

Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I just do not get this thinking...
Simple really... full boxes score better. And you want the meat looking moist.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #11
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

I would have given an 8, but I am sure that the judges asked the rep if that was sculpted.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Simple really... full boxes score better.
Not when I am judging! It is not a factor in my decision.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Not that I want to give away my whole philosophy of a turn-in box. But it's a meat contest. That is why I like a lot of meat in a box as well. Have the meat standing up in the box and not hidden behind a lot of green. If you have big green edges like that, have them in the background and not where the green is even with the meat. The green takes away from the meat. Plain and simple.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post
I would have given an 8, but I am sure that the judges asked the rep if that was sculpted.

I would give it an 8 or 9.

It's posible that some would question if it was "sculpted" but my mind would just think "6 identifiable pieces" and nothing more.

I see it as making it easy for the judges to get a nice portion and easy to get out of the box and onto the plate. When I table captained I saw and instance where a judge was trying to get a sample out of a box of PP and a small piece falls off because it is difficult to get hold of and lands on a different entry spot on the plate. Thankfully there was nothing on that spot yet and he wiped it clean.

I personally like the idea, but, is it too "outside the box" to where some might get there panties in a wad about it? Who knows?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Not that I want to give away my whole philosophy of a turn-in box. But it's a meat contest. That is why I like a lot of meat in a box as well. Have the meat standing up in the box and not hidden behind a lot of green. If you have big green edges like that, have them in the background and not where the green is even with the meat. The green takes away from the meat. Plain and simple.
I see your point Scottie. Maybe build up the lettuce under the center so it doesn't look "sunk in" and a little less green around the outside would showcase the meat better. Good point.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote