MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
CWPrall
Found some matches.

Default BBQ Guru and Lang 60 Cookers / Offset Smokers

I've been searching on the forum and haven't found much feedback on using the BBQ Guru with an offset smoker, specifically the Lang 60.

I'm looking to buy a BBQ Guru for my Lang 60, but wanted to see what other people's experiences were with it.

Thanks in advance!
CWPrall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I know I've seen somewhere someone had this setup. I think they may have been using a stoker though. Basically drilled a hole in the side and piped in air from above in a "u" pattern.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
CWPrall
Found some matches.

Thanks!

On the website, they have the fittings and specs for it, so I know what I need to do, but just not sure how effective it is

Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I'm not certain of the rules about posting links to other forums so I won't do that, but if you google "stoker on a lang 60" the first result is someone who's done it. I have a Fatboy that I use one on, but my teammate has a lang 84 we were interested in using it on.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
dano
is one Smokin' Farker

Your going to need a 25cfm fan and a bulkhead adapter. That is going to require you to drill a hole of figure out some kind of damper set up with that adapter. The DigiQ's are a bit beefier due to the aluminum housing but the CyberQ's are Wifi capable and come with 3 food probes.
dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Pitmaster Donnie T has some old vids using a stoker type device on the Meat Mama 3000...it can work.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
RX2006JE
On the road to being a farker

I use a stoker with a 25cfm fan on my offset stick burner and it works great. I took Donnie's advice and piped in my air from the bottom under the grate. Cooked a t a comp last weekend when i fired up the smoker at 4am it was about 35deg and before the meat went on at 5am the smoker was up over 350(i cook h&f). but it kept the temp between about 2 degrees on wither shelf the entire cook. By the way my firebox is 24x24. here are a couple of pics of how i have mine done.

RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
CWPrall
Found some matches.

That's pretty cool, thanks for the pics!
A couple of questions:
- Are there no issues with ash being blown into the cooking chamber with your setup? (pic #1)
- Why did you choose to pipe the air so far from the firebox (pic #2)

Okay, one more question - any reason you went with Stoker vs. a Guru?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
RX2006JE

I do not have any ash blown up in the cooking chamber the fan although a 25cfm doesn't blow all that hard.
I chose to pipe the air in from that far away because the amount of heat that radiates from the firebox is extreme so much that i have actually cooked on it like a griddle and fried eggs.
I went with the Stoker because i liked the ability to use multiple probes. Right now i use 2 pit probes one for controlling the fan and the other as a monitor on the other grate in the cooker, and i use 2 meat probes one for brisket and one for butts, but there is the ability to expand even more than that if i wanted to with the expanders that rocks sells with the same unit. I think you are limited by how many probes you can use with the guru.
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
CWPrall
Found some matches.

RX2006JE, thanks for all the feedback - very helpful!
I may revisit the Stoker then, seems that most people are using that over the Guru

Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Utah Jake

Try this site:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/9...for-my-lang-60

Thanks from:--->