Black Walnut

E

Ernie3

Just curious as I just had a Black Walnut tree taken down, can you use it for bbq. Never saw anyone talking about it on any threads so I figured I'd ask. Thanks

Ernie,

Willie B has been using Black Walnut for a few months at his BBQ joint in Bayshore... you can definitely use it... just don't overdo it...

Thanks Vinny,

Is that smokin' al's by any chance? Never been there but I heard from guys I work with that it is great.

Thanks Vinny,

Is that smokin' al's by any chance? Never been there but I heard from guys I work with that it is great.

blasphemy blasphemy
no i own Willie b's in Bay Shore and ive been using the walnut for some time now and its great

Just curious as I just had a Black Walnut tree taken down, can you use it for bbq. Never saw anyone talking about it on any threads so I figured I'd ask. Thanks

If it grows fruits or nuts, you can smoke with it!! :wink:

Wow, that sounds like something I'd like to try some time. I remember having some black walnut wood in wood shop that I was building a tea cart out of. When I ran it through the saw it smelled of toasted wallnuts. MMMMM MMMMM MMMMM!!!

If it grows fruits or nuts, you can smoke with it!! :wink:

That's what I've heard . . . and my experience has been.

Walnut, hickory nut, oaks grow acorns, pecans . . . and of course ALL the fruits. (I'd like to try plum some time.)

Hmm . . . that means hedge ought to work, right? Hedge grows like weeds around here . . . hmm.

We had this discussion a while back.
Here ya go.
My yard man broght me a whole barrel of Walnut cut up in fist size chuncks, perfect for the Brinkmann.
I smoked a Butt and when I tasted it, it made my lips numb.
Na, couldn't be the meat. Yes, it was. That meat made my lips and mouth numb. Never had that happen.
I smoked with it again, not using as much. Same thing. Numb.
So, I burned it in the fire pit. Whole barrel.
You try it and see. I would not use it again for smoking.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fork That Pork
Smoke On!!!!!

Hmm . . . that means hedge ought to work, right? Hedge grows like weeds around here . . . hmm.
Some guys around here swear by the Osage Orange a.k.a "hedge" and say it great.
As far as the walnut goes I have never used it but according to sources, it can be bitter if used alone.

I tried black walnut once and only once.. Way to strong for me and I did not use alot.

If you are looking to try walnut, BBQrsDelight sells Black Walnut in single use packages. You can get them at Walmart or from their website.

Back