MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Question What's "Beinfleisch" & how to smoke it?

I am interested in a cut of beef call "Beinfleisch" (translates to "leg meat", although I guess it does not have anything to do with legs at all, because Austrian butchers seem to think it's funny to give cuts of meat completely different names than the body parts they are coming from).

I have seen pictures here in the forum before, but I can not find any right now. Those pieces of beef are cut rectangularly and seem to be quite large and fatty, so I think it should be well suited for a SNL smoke.

Can anyone imagining what I mean please post a picture, tell the cut's name and explain how it's prepped and smoked?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Did some googling but maybe it's beePh ribs.
"Bein" can mean leg but can also refer to bone.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
Smokey Mick
Knows what a fatty is.

Not Hanger steak ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanger_steak
Also know as top skirt in Australia

Last edited by Smokey Mick; 11-20-2012 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: added link
Smokey Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
Smokey Mick
Knows what a fatty is.

Did something wrong there?
Cant copy a link? Mods please help
Smokey Mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Beinfleisch is indeed from the leg or shank. But it looks like you are right. This website describes it as a cut from the rib area. Interesting. Kinda like a short rib. http://www.premiumrind.at/die_teilst...e/beinfleisch/
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

No, not what I meant, but I forgot to mention, those pieces are not only rectangular in shape but also pretty thick, so they are more like cuboids, and I think they are boneless. The are kind of big pieces, but you usually cook a few at a time.

There are some nice pictures here in the forum somewhere, but to find them I guess I would have to dig through the endless picture thread.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
Beinfleisch is indeed from the leg or shank. But it looks like you are right. This website describes it as a cut from the rib area. Interesting. Kinda like a short rib. http://www.premiumrind.at/die_teilst...e/beinfleisch/
Ok, that could be close, if it's cuboid without bone as well. I really have to dig because I remember seeing some amazing pictures around here.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #8
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

I see what you are talking about now. Go to google images and put in Beinfleisch. Pretty sure those are short ribs you are talking about.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

It could be something like this as posted by Al Czervik in "The Wordless Picture Thread" on 10-19-2012:

They are not really cuboids but blocks of beef. If this is "Beinfleisch" it is a lot different then the pieces I failed to make as "Kind of" Beef Ribs some time ago.

So how would I want to smoke such blocks of beef (with or without bones)?

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I see what you are talking about now. Go to google images and put in Beinfleisch. Pretty sure those are short ribs you are talking about.
That's what I thought first, but those blocks of meat look quite different from what I have seen here considered "short ribs".

There should be a lot more pictures around here somewhere, but except the one from Al Czervik I can not find any right now.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Blind on both eyes, searching for "short ribs" indeed brought up some more results, like Al Czervik's cooking thread.

So I am pretty confident to say it's indeed "Beinfleisch". Al Czervik smoked and braised them. Can they be just smoked as well?

I am still confused because there seem to be different types of "Beinfleisch" cuts around here, so I am looking for such large blocks of beef instead of the short ribs I already had mistaken for beef ribs.

These blocks of meat seem to have enough fat for a SNL smoke. With or without foiling?

Old 11-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Have you tried beef chuck or shoulder? Might be what you're looking for. Something you can pull or cook to nice soft slices.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC

Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #13
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can just smoke them without braising/Phoiling...it's not something that is done within a hour.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Beinfleisch is confusing. I'm going to sleep.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC

Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #15
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Have you tried beef chuck or shoulder? Might be what you're looking for. Something you can pull or cook to nice soft slices.
My 12th cook was a beef shoulder, but that's something completely different. I still have no idea how a beef chuck translates to German, but I didn't really bother, because beef is quite expensive around here, so I always only go after the cheap pieces nobody else likes (which usually is "Brustkern" aka European style brisket).

Such "Beinfleisch" should not be that expensive as well, and if I find such nice blocks of beef I am certainly going to try it.

Quote:
Beinfleisch is confusing. I'm going to sleep.
+1 (except that it's early afternoon here, so no sleeping but working)