MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Default UDS build coming. Score

Just found a line of 55 gallon drums for $ 3.00 each. All steel " Steel? I have closed head and open head.We bring in lime and lemon concentrates in drums. The drum is lined with 3 very thick plastic liners before it is filled, so they are in good shape when empty. " The liners are bags not resin lined drums. I am gonna get me some. Anybody else interested?

Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

My guess is those drums are probably lined with a mild rust inhibitor. If they weren't treated with something, they'd rust up within a week. That type of a treatment is very easy to remove, I'd just burn it out. There are probably other ways to remove the thin coating in case you want to preserve the original paint job.

Another thing to think about when choosing between open head and closed head drums. The open head drums tend to have a larger top lip, which makes adding a weber lid a bit more difficult. Many people have cut the bottoms out of open head drums, mounted the flat lid to bottom and use the bottom for the top. If that makes sense.

Even starting with a closed head drum, I still had to modify the el cheapo kettle lid to fit on top edge nicely. The lid was just a smidge too small, so I had to pound out the lip of lid a bit.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

After reading a few times, Yes it did make sense. Thanks