Brisket tenderness

openmc

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi, everybody.. First time here.. Thanx in advance for the advices that I hope to come..
It's all about the brisket tenderness that I want to achieve.
I made my last brisket on my wsm and it was OK.. But I want to get the best from it.

Please find any mistake.

Trimmed, injected with beef broth and previous brisket juices, Cooked @ 250F and placed in TC (Texas Crutch) covered with "non stick oven paper" (should be different from butcher paper.. Heavier?). Once i got 200F on point (while flat was 195F) I opened the TC to probe tender. It was like butter on point but not in flat, so i leaved It all on the smoker untill probe tender also on flat anywhere. In whitin approssimatively 15' (opening once in a while) Flat became probe tender without ever passing more (it didn't raised temp) than 195F and also, probabily because of the opened lid and opened foil, while i was testing it dropped to 175F on Flat without being able to get it tru 200F.

Once probe tender removed it from smoker, I separeted flat from point and then placed flat on cambro form three hours. (I made burnt ends from point so i though not to leave it on cambro, they had 1 more hour cooking on a pan after a simple two hours rest (not in cambro)).

Strangely I had very little juices on TC (I think it was for the large amount of water in waterpan that I kept during all the cooking).
I'm going to try on next brisket (unfortunately the next once is the Comp one) and wait to probe tender on after the flat have reached 203F .
Will it be dry and pulling..
Or when it's probe tender every where it is done the best way (speaking in terms of tenderness)?
Consider my briskets are never a Prime Grade Meat.

Thanx in advance!

Here's a pick of the point that came out
IMG_20160605_071830___.jpg

Maybe use foil next time. I find that butcher paper leaks more often than not.

Temp is only a guide, if it probes tender, it is tender. If the slices were perfect on tenderness, you don't really have a problem. If they weren't, you just need more experience to get the right 'feel'.

It sounds like you were checking multiple times within 15 min. That is much more frequently than you need to check and doesn't really allow it to continue cooking.

your method is so different than mine, I don't even know where to start. Might I suggest a class?

Thanx every body!

tduffy start with the bigger mistake! :D

I think the next one will be better anyway..
I was thinking about trying to use a thawed brisket next time to have more tenderness.. do you agree?

It sounds like you were checking multiple times within 15 min. That is much more frequently than you need to check and doesn't really allow it to continue cooking.
It is what i've done.. :doh:

No,no it was just "fresh" in the sense of not frozen.. I was wondering If using a fronzen and then thawed brisket will tender the meat without loosing too much juices..

your method is so different than mine, I don't even know where to start. Might I suggest a class?

Was wondering if you might elaborate on your brisket process.
Just starting on a ys 1500. dont often do brisket.

Why are you asking him for his process? He can't cook brisket at all...oh wait maybe that's me. Nice calls this weekend Tduffy!

I cook my comp briskets hot and fast on a Gateway Drum. http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/the-white-rabbit/ This is a great article for anyone struggling in brisket to read. Is this my exact method? No. But it's a great place to start.

Thanks really informative and I've saved this method for when I've finished my build. I now have 3 different ways to cook brisket and all of them I'm going to try. One of these ways has to work so really can't go wrong.

Last edited:
Back