MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #1
Pork_lover
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Overnight brisket

Wanting to cook a brisket over night and to wrap in foil and pack it in a cooler the next morning for lunch at work. I would like to take it off the smoker about 6 in the morning and would be slicing it up about noon. Looking for tips, ideas, timing suggestions anyone has.
Pork_lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
Brew n Que
On the road to being a farker

Can't help you on timing, as it all depends on what temp you are cooking at and what your cooker's characteristics are.

I've kept brisket for 6 hours no problem. I preheated my cooler with boiling water. Right before the meat went in, I emptied the water and dried the cooler. If you have just one brisket, wrap it with a towel or two to further insulate it. If you have more meat, it should all stay warm that long in a cooler with no towels.
Brew n Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
Pork_lover
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok thanks. The brisket will be about 14lb and cooking at about 240-250 on a backwoods fatboy.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
Braddog
Full Fledged Farker

What he said. Ideally, you'd have cooked a brisket before and have an idea of timing etc. based on your cooker and setup.

I do this fairly often. For Cinco de Mayo, I cooked a 7 lb flat on my Big Green Egg. Started the fire at 6:00pm and had the meat on by 7:00pm. Took it off the cooker around 6:45am the next morning. Wrapped in foil and transported in a cooler. Sliced and served hot brisket at 11:30am.

Good luck!
Large Big Green Egg
Bubba Keg
Braddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Pork_lover
Knows what a fatty is.

I've done a few briskets on my cooker so I'm not too concerned about timing, just looking for others thoughts on it.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Mint
Knows what a fatty is.

I plan on doing the same thing for one of my archery shoots I'll be running. I did a test run on my Kamado Joe and found that at 250 degrees a 17lb brisket was done in 14 hours. But I'm learning from this site that it's done when probe tender and not by ending temperature so there has to be some deviation based on each individual brisket.

What I'm going to do is aim for my brisket to be done at 4:00am so if it is done later, lets say 7:00am I can still make my time to leave for the shoot. I figure it will hold in the cooler as long as I need or I can start serving sooner if the holding temp reaches 140 degrees in the cooler.
Mint is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->