MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
GLOCKer
On the road to being a farker

Default If you had to choose one... Franklin BBQ or Salt Lick?

I will be visiting family in San Antonio for a wedding, and I will have one day where I can pick one BBQ restaurant to drag my wife (and possibly my parents) to for lunch. I believe both are about 1.25 hours from where we'll be staying. I figure Aaron Franklin's place may be the more pain-in-the-ass place to visit given its popularity and the line that forms for his 'que. Salt Lick sounds like it'd be the easier place to stroll into for lunch. I'm leaning towards Franklin BBQ however.

Any advice?
GLOCKer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #2
barrettd
On the road to being a farker

I've not been to Franklin, but I've been to Salt Lick. The food was pretty much OK. Nothing special. The pits are cool to see, but, given the choice, I'd line up at Franklin's. Nobody wanted to go with me when we'd go to Austin (from OKC) to visit my in-laws, so I never did it. Maybe one of these trips down to San Antonio to visit my sister, I'll do it.
barrettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dine in Southside Market in Elgin. Be sure to try their sausage. Get a call in to go order from Franklins and eat that at The Capitol grounds or town lake.

I’d carry a cooler stacked with ice for leftovers both places.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

if Franklin's lines are too much you are better off going to LA Barbecue.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
bproffer
Take a breath!

I would choose Franklin's just to say you have done it. La Barbecue (also in Austin) is good as well. Or take a drive to Lockhart where there are other great choices.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
Dr. Trout Bum
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Dine in Southside Market in Elgin. Be sure to try their sausage. Get a call in to go order from Franklins and eat that at The Capitol grounds or town lake.

I’d carry a cooler stacked with ice for leftovers both places.
This is what I'm going to do next time I'm in San Antonio...call in the to go order and drive to Austin.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Franklin's, no doubt about it!
Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Salt Lick has great ambience and it's cash only, last time I was there. Food is not very good IMO. Franklins of course is great. If you want top notch brisket w/out leaving San Antonio head to 2M Smokehouse. Amazing brisket and food there.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #9
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Trout Bum View Post
This is what I'm going to do next time I'm in San Antonio...call in the to go order and drive to Austin.
I think you need to call a few days in advance for Franklins.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
Dr. Trout Bum
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I think you need to call a few days in advance for Franklins.

I'll check it out on their web site. When I'm there, it's usually for weeks at a time.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #11
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

I'd go with la Barbeque or my favorite, Stiles Switch. You'll get great BBQ and they won't have to stand in line for hours at Franklin's.

https://www.labarbecue.com/#2027-e-cesar-chavez-austin

http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/

Both are closed Mondays and la Barbecue is closed on Tuesday.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:55 PM   #12
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Salt Lick is reheated tourist BBQ to impress Californians. Its not even on the same planet as Franklin. Not sure why people compare them. That "pit" everyone talks about is a glorified microwave. They reheat food on it, not cook on it. I'd scratch this off the list.

(OPTION 1) Franklin is a place you gotta try and do the line so you can say you have been there and done it. It's like a BBQ right of passage. That said theres BBQ joints around town that have BBQ that's about as good, without the massive wait if you have people with you who wont do the line. Preorders at Franklin are currently only 1 week out, so not bad at all. Maybe look into this? They have a $100 minimum.

(OPTION 2)

LaBarbeque

Micklewait Craft Meats (walking distance from Franklin)

Freedmen's

Stiles Switch

(OPTION3)

Also you will be in San Antonio. They have 2M Smokehouse there.

https://www.2msmokehouse.com

Guy who started it used to be pitmaster at LaBarbecue. I have not been there, but I bet it's as good as any of the above. It's Texas BBQ with Mexican flair.

(OPTION 4)

Going to Lockhart and trying Kreuz, Smittys or Blacks would be a good idea too. Minimal lines, not as far as Austin, you get a vibe of BBQ history, indoor seating, and good BBQ. Be warned some of the places dont have BBQ sauce or forks. They do it old school. The tourist think they are joking when they get told "we dont use forks or have sauce".

Last edited by Rockinar; 01-24-2018 at 05:38 PM..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #13
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Snow's. Unless you're not in town on a Saturday. Just get there real early.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #14
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Don't forget City Market in Luling. It's even closer than Lockhart.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:11 PM   #15
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
(OPTION 4)

Going to Lockhart and trying Kreuz, Smittys or Blacks would be a good idea too. Minimal lines, not as far as Austin, you get a vibe of BBQ history, indoor seating, and good BBQ. Be warned some of the places dont have BBQ sauce or forks. They do it old school. The tourist think they are joking when they get told "we dont use forks or have sauce".
Kreuz Over priced and not that good.

Smitty's was really good.

However, Black's was AWESOME! Those beef ribs were more like beef lollipops to this old man.