Help me identify this cut of beef

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So a friend of mine gave me a package of beef this that was labeled brisket on the packing paper from the butcher. Got it and thought it looked awfully square and figured it was just the brisket flat with a lot of fat.

Well, I'm suppose to smoke it for a birthday party tomorrow. It looks like a better cut of meat then brisket. If so, what temp do you all advise I cook it to (internal)?

Attachments

• beef1.JPG
    beef1.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 131
  • beef2.JPG
    beef2.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 131
  • beef3.JPG
    beef3.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 131
Looks like a brisket flat. Cook like a brisket, but check around for advice. I never cook flats because I like point meat so much it seems pointless to me. I recommend getting advice because the flat can be prone to drying out, although that one appears to have a lot of fat which will help.

I generally always cut the point apart from the flat prior to cooking, and it has never looked like that.

I've never seen one with a strip of fat running through the flat like that either. Maybe someone will know for sure.

Its a square chunk taken out of a packer brisket.

see that white fat that runs all the way through the meat, the small park is peice of the point, the larger part is part of a flat.

Odd way to cut the meat, but its basically the center of a whole brisket.

(at least that's my guess)

I'm starting to think it might be from the sirloin. I might have to go get a packer and keep this for steaks. Those pictures don't show how thick it is. I just put my index finger across the thick point (see second pic) and it was almost as thick of the length of my finger.

Its a square chunk taken out of a packer brisket.

see that white fat that runs all the way through the meat, the small park is peice of the point, the larger part is part of a flat.

Odd way to cut the meat, but its basically the center of a whole brisket.

(at least that's my guess)

That's what I see.

I agree with Transformer as well, would you like me to create a poll?:biggrin:

No, I have a couple hours to figure it out. I can see the fat and where it appears the flat and the point come together, but we're not seeing the grain on the flat?

Kinda scary that they cut it that way. I wonder why they cut part of it off?

yep - bizzare way to cut a brisket but that's what it lookd like to me too. What's it weigh?

Its the back half of a packer as Transformer has said. Its brisket.

I wish I knew - that would help me plan for cooking it. I'd guess 8-9 lbs.

Its the back half of a packer as Transformer has said. Its brisket.

Yeah, its got to be brisket. Never saw anything from the back end of a steer with fat patterns like that.

I wish I knew - that would help me plan for cooking it. I'd guess 8-9 lbs.

If you don't have a kitchen scale, do you have a bathroom scale? You can stand on your bathroom scale, look at the weight [don't have to tell anyone], then pickup the meat, and check the scale again-should be accurate to within a pound.

That is definitely brisket. Part point, part flat. The produce manager must of had to work the butcher counter today.

Yeap, just got done hacking away on it. We'll have enough for some burnt ends and slices of brisket. The point is about the size of a porterhouse. Shouldn't take too long to smoke, so at least I get to sleep in a little longer since I cut them apart.

Chez is smoked, wrapped and in the refridge
Chickens are in the brine - cajun butter beer can chickens - my favorite
Brisket is trimmed and soaking up some beef brooth, I'll wake up in the middle of the night and rub them down

It is the back half of a packer.... you usually don't see them lop it off through the point and flat like that... but you just had a big cow to get one that thick. We call those "Chocolate Cake" thanks to old Jeff's nomenclature. Gotta love a nice thick flat.

I say cook that baby up!!!

Back