• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Getting Weird on 2 Butts (Hunsaker "practice") Sunday

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
While we don't compete very much as of last year we are going to get out a few more times this year. So since it is 70 degrees this weekend might as well cook some stuff and since both Kroger and Sprouts have $.99/lb butts perfect to work on our problem child of pork :clap2:.

Also wanted to really just decimate these butts and trim stuff out since we are cooking hotter and getting things done in about 4-4.5hrs. We've been trimming out a decent amount similar to the carnage below, but really just screamed "yolo??" on these.

Here are 2 I picked up today at sprouts. One was 9'ish and the other was 13'ish. Love the trimmings because I use them for sausage :becky:
ECnltz0l.jpg

sehANbYl.jpg

VNRRtg7l.jpg

ga8TgjQl.jpg

sRyBNPGl.jpg

Sm2HTU5l.jpg

I'll get one drum loaded for tomorrow and then toss them on at 6am to be done about 10. A little rain forecasted for tomorrow but still warm :clap2:

Looks like a massacre. :heh: bet it still turns out good though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Somebody was watching the shake n bake trimming video :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope :becky:. Actually since going hot and dirty we were doing a slightly less aggressive version of this all on our own since last summer. Hard to believe I know. I just went nuts this time.

This is Dillard last August
cCvUdEkl.jpg

And some cooking in Lville in Sept
QRnNjPNl.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
What temp are you cooking at? I am thinking about jumping into the drum cooker world with a Hunsaker or Gateway and I'm trying to learn.

Maybe I need my coffee, but I’ve been staring at that for 5 minutes and I think I see Snoopy’s head!

Seriously, I can’t see how this would not taste great.

Here's the rest.
onAFRaml.jpg

Feed the kid first
b1GhTTsl.jpg

Amazing the color and moisture you get in only 2hrs in the smoke on these drums and 3-3.5hrs total time.
EuLRs78l.jpg

v62SkYHl.jpg

YguoTinl.jpg

Faux boxing. I tossed more in than normal just for fun. MM on the right would have made the cut over left
aFV1ho6l.jpg

9wIgFKIl.jpg

Kid wanted more
xbGfieIl.jpg

Now off to start it back up to hang some ribs to test for next weekend.

2nd took 3:35. Took a sample. Tasted porky! They will rest in the cambro for 3hrs.
f1be65b4793413a1a804b0f2d7423fd6.jpg
2f78bc34f7c239fda6df9179bd7fd9ba.jpg

That is some VERY moist looking pork. You look like you did good with moisture at least. Did it come out to your tenderness level?

That is some VERY moist looking pork. You look like you did good with moisture at least. Did it come out to your tenderness level?

So yes. Everything I put in the fake box wasn't exactly what would have gone in, but I very much had enough meat to do what I would have. I will say cooking hotter there are parts that just aren't as tender, but we don't use anyways. So it's good to point out that if I wanted pulled pork across the board I'd be letting it go longer.

I still need a few more runs, but I was very happy with this :becky:

I’ve tried both ways but I have had better luck (and scores) not completely butchering butts. Drums cook so much faster with the radiant heat anyway.

Back