The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #16
Mrdibs
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklenuts View Post
How have you gone through 3 thermapens? What happened to them? I thought that they were REALLY durable.
My first two fell prey to rain/moisture. The early ones had no water resistance.

The last one was waterproof but apparently not 375° oil proof. Oops.
Mrdibs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 08:27 PM   #17
effinUker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

I got a Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo with my xmas money. I love it. Was 10% off too, so only $40 shipped when I got it.
effinUker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #18
Joe Black
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
That half a second adds up when you're checking 50 chicken legs
After 40 or so, I would have thought they were ok.
Joe Black is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #19
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I absolutely love my Javelin Pro..way nice and love the back lit

Visit OctoForks in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: www.octoforks.com
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017, 11:27 PM   #20
Mrdibs
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
That half a second adds up when you're checking 50 chicken legs
AGREED. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Thermapen is a bad thermometer. Fortunately I haven't been tasked to cook 50 chicken parts since I switched to my "good enough" thermometer.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly how I came to the decision. I'm not a caterer. I'm not a restaurant chef. I'm not doing massive cooks. I'm just a guy who likes to cook and really likes cool gadgets. At some point I had to realize that spending another $109 on a restaurant grade thermometer didn't make the most sense. There are other options that work well for guys like me.
Mrdibs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #21
ichbin73
On the road to being a farker

I love my Lavatools Javalins and Javalin Pro. And I am a caterer and restaurant chef. Quality is same as Thermoworks products and all are made in China, so spend the extra $ on more meat or other toys.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #22
Bob C Cue
Babbling Farker

I had the Javelin and was very impressed with the speed and accuracy. Unfortunately the plastic piece that holds the probe broke after about a year, so I bought the Thermapen when it was on sale for about $70. The speed is not really that much different between the two.

Interestingly enough I sent an email to Lavatools and a picture of the broken unit. I did not hear back from them for awhile but eventually they sent me a replacement, which I gifted to my son-in-law and he loves it. Also bought my brother in law one for Christmas and he is delighted with how well it works.
Thermoworks Smoke
Bob C Cue is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #23
TealStBBQKing
On the road to being a farker

I have an Alpha Grillers it was about $20 with a lifetime warranty. First one was reading inaccurate after about 6 months returned it no questions asked. It is a little slow to take temperature but it's not terrible.