2nd brisket.....frustrated

I'm no expert, but I learned very quickly to not stress over all the small details or it will suck the fun right out of the process!

I'm not stressing now as I've turnd the proverbial corner. Just relaxing and letting it do it's thing now.

I usually cook brisket at 250 for the first 2 hours then go to 300. I wrap with butcher paper when the bark is the color I want it to be. I pull when it is probe tender, sometimes at 200 sometimes at 210.

Jeff

I have - several dry undercooked Briskets pulling at 200* - even with long rests.

I completely agree. Don't cook to internal temp anymore.

1.) What size brisket you cooking? I purchase 12-14lb packer cuts.
2.) On average, I cook a 12-14lb brisket for 10-12 hours at 275-300.
3.) Swings will happen, even as much as 50 degrees. It's just gonna happen.
4.) after about 10 hours, put a fork in it, if it goes in like butter and you can twist easily, pull it from fire, let it rest for 15 minutes. Wrap it up in butcher paper or tin foil for an hour.

Just my musings...

Don't get frustrated after only a couple of briskets. It'll take several till you finally start to get it right. I'm into just over a dozen & still working it out though I'm more consistant now than in the past.

At least the weather is nice, where is it cruising now?

Thanks all.....just my OCD kicking in......I tend to be alto harder on myself than others......lol.

Just checked it and it's about 198 and really tender............

probes like butter, take off and let it steam out for 15 mins and let her rest. I would rest 2 hours min.

Hey one thing I know for sure after have been cooking for over 35 years is one will ruin a lot of meat in the process of learning and still today I have cooked things I would not feed my Dog....... But what is what makes cooking so much fun to me because I make a point of learning something new with ever piece of meat I cook and always trying to make the next cook even better....
Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Ok here's an update. Got it to 205° and probe tender. Pulled it let it steam off for a bit then wrapped it. Put it in the cooler and going toilet it rest for an hour or two.

D4DC5F65-60C0-486F-97C5-FC349274D43E.jpg

Briskey looks great. I would like to add that in my experience select briskets seem to cook faster, choice cooks longer, and prime seems to go even longer. This is mostly due to fat content. Hope this helps. :thumb:

Cook your meat, stop cooking the smoker and the thermometer. Use them as guides, hints if you will, but focus on the meat.

Ok here's an update. Got it to 205° and probe tender. Pulled it let it steam off for a bit then wrapped it. Put it in the cooler and going toilet it rest for an hour or two.

Dang, I read that about 5 times before I realized it was a typo. I was trying to figure out if you were taking someone's advice to cooler it in the toilet for an hour or two. :twitch: I was going to suggest not taking any of our advice in the Wood Pile until you get a few more briskets under your belt. :thumb:

Ahhh I was waiting for someone to catch that, I'm still :laugh:

Yeah gotta watch out for them WP ho's :whistle:

Dang, I read that about 5 times before I realized it was a typo. I was trying to figure out if you were taking someone's advice to cooler it in the toilet for an hour or two. :twitch: I was going to suggest not taking any of our advice in the Wood Pile until you get a few more briskets under your belt. :thumb:

Doesn't everyone let it rest in the toilet......LOL.

dang auto-correct.........

Here's the end result.......the flat was good but maybe just a tiny bit on the dry side but still good. The point meat was very moist and tender with great flavor. All in all,I was happy and it was 10'times better than the first one I did. Doing some burnt ends as we speak.

87F24148-9BF2-4B5B-A29E-80900111E0F7.jpg

Back