MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Stuffing?

For some reason I'm thinking about stuffing...inside of a turkey.Does anyone have some "traditional" recipes?(no weird nuts, fruit or berries)

Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
TSGlover
Knows what a fatty is.

If you can get good chestnuts, they are great in stuffing. Sweet and soft after roasting.
TSGlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I always make a seasoned loaf of bread, typically with thyme and sage, then I cube it up, toast it up in the oven, saute some celery and onion in some butter, and make stuffing with some turkey stock from last year I have canned up, salt, pepper, thyme, sage, ground rosemary, marjoram, and that's that.

Every now and again I'll make cornbread and chorizo stuffing too, but not sure if you consider that weird, so I'll forgo posting it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
BBQ-Jim
On the road to being a farker

Pepperidge farms corn bread stuffing, 1 large onion, package of celery, 1 jimmy dean pork sausage, stick of butter. salt and pepper to taste.

Grind onion and celery. or dice fine and mix all of these together, add enough chicken stock or water to make it moist and stuff bird and cook..... enjoy

Jim
BBQ-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
SoulinyourSauce
Got Wood.

i would not use a meat stuffing if your are putting it in the cavity of the bird as you have to get the ground meat up to 165 so the bird will be much higher than that.
SoulinyourSauce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Are you looking for a cornbread stuffing?
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #7
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

+++ On the Pepperidge Farm cornbread mix.
I always add a lot more liquid (chicken stock) than the package calls for and I saute the onions and celery in butter before adding them to the mix. Sometimes add a can of sliced mushrooms too.
I bake the dressing separately from the turkey also.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

My wife won't tell me what is in her recipe for fear that I will try to change it (no reason to as it is perfect already). I do know there is plenty of sausage in it. I do prefer the dressing (baked outside of the bird) route though. Besides the safety risks of putting the stuffing in an uncooked bird, I just don't like the mushy texture that results from stuffing the bird. I also love the end pieces from the bake.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Stuffing is just seasoned bread.What I'm exactly looking for is amounts and kind of spices.I don't want to buy stuffing from the store and add to it.It probably has sage,salt,pepper and ?

Old 11-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzybadger View Post
I always make a seasoned loaf of bread, typically with thyme and sage, then I cube it up, toast it up in the oven, saute some celery and onion in some butter, and make stuffing with some turkey stock from last year I have canned up, salt, pepper, thyme, sage, ground rosemary, marjoram, and that's that.

Every now and again I'll make cornbread and chorizo stuffing too, but not sure if you consider that weird, so I'll forgo posting it.
This is mine exactly, heavy on the butter when sauteing up the vegetables.

I don't have specifics as everything is by feel, however, enough liquid to make the bread feel soft again, but not mushy, 2-3 eggs mixed in for texture, the rest is really up to you and your tasted buds.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote