MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
jeffdh52
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Catering Questions

I've been asked to prepare pulled pork,brisket and sides for about 400 people. I'm going to chop the brisket and probably go heavier on the pulled pork,about 1/3 to 2/3. My question is, 1/2 an uncooked pound per person a good rule of thumb? On sides should I figure 5 oz? Should I take my food cost x3 to arrive at a per person cost? Thanks for all your help and input.

Last edited by jeffdh52; 12-29-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: wrong forum
jeffdh52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Definitely food cost x3 for pricing. Make sure you're considering the cost of rubs & fuel in your food cost.

I generally consider 1/2 lb cooked meat per person unless it's sandwiches (1/3 lb). Depending on your yield, that'll be somewhere in the 1 pound uncooked range. I generally get around a 60% yield on pork & 55% on brisket (largely due to the trimming).

As to the sides, how many sides will there be? 5oz if one side is pretty decent, but if you're talking 3 or 4 sides, you're probably good in the 3-4oz range.

Much luck!

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
robertsonhoward
Found some matches.

Some more information will help in delivering solid answers for you:

1) Will alcohol be served? When you drink, you always want more food!

2) I agree on the sides: how many are you serving?

3) Are you assuming everyone will eat pork and brisket? If so, in equal portions / amounts?

4) Is this a buffet?

Happy to help out once we have a little more information.

-R. Howard
LowCountry Barbecue
Atlanta Caterer
robertsonhoward is offline   Reply With Quote