MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Catering questions

Well boys my little catering business is starting to really get some attention. I just finished up that 400 person on site job and we are allready booking jobs all the way through the end of june. Although a lot of them are delivery jobs (which I prefer due to the fact that I can showcase my smoking talents with ribs, beercans and fattys). I just bought a 2004 ford F150 truck and am looking for a small trailer to hall extra grills. I have to say I really love bbq and cooking for people, It doesn't seem like work to me. Do you guys have any advice on how to get more business, I am sure summer is everybodys busy season, but I would love to get jobs all year round. Any advice would be helpful.
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
SoEzzy
Full Fledged Farker

Get yourself business cards and sheet flyers printed up, set up a website showcasing what you can do, perhaps throw your hat in the ring for some of the local churches and civic centers, little league clubs, schools, universities, colleges.

Make sure you are complying with the Health Department rules and regulations, and that you are licensed and are carrying insurance at least $500,000 and in some areas require $1,000,000, so check what you need and comply with it.

If you want greater coverage, you can also try having an article written about you and your catering Co…Send it to all the local newspapers, including the free circulation town papers, they are always looking for filler, fun or informational pieces, it would help if you got the article written about you contributing to a charity event, feed the emergency workers, something that puts your catering Co on a different level than every other catering Co.

That way the article can fill more than one need for the newspapers.

The main thing this all comes down to is to get your name out in the publics mind, as the go to guy for your style of catering, and the more word of mouth working for you the better. Often if there is some side to a human-interest story, it can also get picked up as filler for the local radio and TV slots.

Make sure you have your website, abilities in place before doing some of the more “out there” promotional stuff, as it pay dividends to point folks at the information source, as well as to tell folks you are just available.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #3
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Advertise, advertise, advertise!!!!

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Do you know what happens when you DO NOT advertise?
Nothing!!!!!!!
Like the Boyz said above.
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys I do have business cards and all my jobs have been word of mouth
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do a good job on every job. Word of mouth is a double edged sword.

Invest in advertising, but be careful about diminishing returns. What I mean is that during a growth period, advertising is good. But at some point, you can only book so many parties each weekend. Typically, word of mouth, reputation, and awareness begins to carry you. Back off on the ad dollars at that point. Randy had the local radio station call him about renewing ad blocks for this summer. When he explained that he was already pretty booked for the year and that he didn't need the added exposure, they offered him sponsorship for one of their promotional events because his business name is a draw for them. People know Plowboys BBQ Company and will come out for that alone. Funny how in a year the tables turn.

For business cards, go mail order. I got virtually the same cards from Overnight Prints online for 2/5 of the price that Office Depot wanted. They are bright and thick stock. I think it was $48 for 1000 cards.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
Diamond D'z
Got Wood.

I am finding that by just driving around with my DPP70 attached to my beauty of a Titan V-8 gets alot of attention. Everywhere I stop someone is asking me questions and then I find myself handing out a card.
La Caja China (New)
Various Gassers
Looking @ the Outdoor Culinary Cooker "Bare Bones" for grilling......
Diamond D'z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
PigBoy
Full Fledged Farker

Advertising is still a wild card for me, but sure is a necessary evil. Even when business is good, you have to do a little to let people know you're still there. Radio has best impact, but is expensive. If you do newspaper, a picture is a must! People will look at pictures first, then read. Until I added a picture, I had trouble finding the ad myself!

Pork Pullin Plowboys
www.plowboysbbq.com
www.hinckfarms.com

Traeger 200, Kingfisher Commercial, Bandera, Weber Kettle
PigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Join the local chamber of commerce and attend the get togethers they sponsor. Hob Nob mod.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
wlfpkrcn
Knows what a fatty is.

Not to hijack the thread,but...

How did you guys get started in catering? Did you start helping out at friends parties or did you jump in with both feet from the get go?
wlfpkrcn is offline   Reply With Quote