MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Default Lake Trout Grilling Question

My wife picked up some lake trout and asked me if I would grill it this weekend. I have little to no experience with grilling fish so I'm looking for some suggestions on seasoning, grilling method, time/temp ext.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Is it the whole fish, or filets?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

2 pound filet
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
deguerre

Ah. I've never cooked filets of trout but I imagine it would be a good candidate for cedar planking.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Cedar planking would be good. Lake Trout is a fatty fish (like most cold water fish), so grilling it is a good choice. I'm not a big fan of it, but it can be good.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Cedar planking would be good. Lake Trout is a fatty fish (like most cold water fish), so grilling it is a good choice. I'm not a big fan of it, but it can be good.
Especially if cooked whole. Just scale 'em and gut 'em and fill the cavity with aeromatics and go to town.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Larry S
Got Wood.

Rub it down with olive oil, season it with kosher salt,sage,and thyme. Cook it like a steak, hot and fast. You can only flip it one time. If you try turning it more than that it will come apart and fall through the grate.

Larry S.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

Cedar plank with sautéed diced mushrooms, onions and tomatoes in a red wine and sprinkled with romano cheese. Doing two big fillets of red snapper as I type. Won't be disappointed!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

My best advice is .......don't overcook it, and if you are cooking it directly on the grates, be careful, once done the fish can crumble and fall through. A fish basket works very well if you have on.

KC

Old 06-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the great suggestions. I didn't have time to go to the store before we headed out for our cabin weekend so I was left to come up with something based on what we had on our shelves (which is not a lot at the cabin).

I found a recipe that included soy sauce, brown sugar, and lemon juice. I had that stuff so I thought I'd give it a go.

I cut the fillet into a few "steaks" and had my basting liquid at the ready.

On to a medium hot grill

Closed the lid and dialed in the temp to

The recipe said the skin should stick to the grill and the fillet should come off nicely and that it did.

And here was the finished product

My wife was happy and wants to have the same recipe again. I was very careful not to go overboard with the soy and brown sugar but next time I will put more of the liquid on each fillet.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Nice! The only problem is getting the skin off of the grill. It's a pain.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Looks like you did a great job Rick...
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Nice! The only problem is getting the skin off of the grill. It's a pain.
Really! Turn up the heat and it will disappear
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Skins came off the grate all in one piece so that wasn't a problem at all. They actually looked good enough to eat but I just couldn't get myself to take a bite.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
FromthePitBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Lumpy

I grill lake trout often. Pretty much a milder version of salmon. I use olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, oregano and garlic powder.

Oil your grates once they are hot, then cook meat side down for about 4 mins, while the fish is skin up add some pam nonstick spray, and then flip and cook skin side down for another 8-9 minutes intil juice is clear and it flakes easily with a fork.

Another recommendation would be to soak it in plain water overnight in the fridge and rinse it well before you season it. The grease will come out into your bowl of water.

Enjoy.