• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A Brisket Cooking Question

Do You Put Rub On The Brisket Fat Cap?

• Yes, and I cook it fat side up

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • Yes, and I cook it fat side down

Votes: 35 44.3%
  • No, and I cook it fat side up

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • No, and I cook it fat side down

Votes: 15 19.0%

• Total voters

Vince RnQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Do you season the fat cap when you cook your brisket? Why do you choose to season or not to season?

I'm interested in knowing what other people think about this.

I season the fat cap. I cook flats, and usually have the fat trimmed about 1/4". It cooks up crispy, and some people (including me) like to eat it. Brian

I season the fat cap too unless I'm going to cook fat cap down. It may not, but I think is adds something to the final product.

Last edited:
I season the fat cap as well.

Fat holds more flavor than the meat, and I like to think that as it renders down it brings the flavor down with it.

I cut criss cross sections through the fat to the meat and then rub, so hopefully the rub will reach the meat. Thats my store and I am sticking to it.
Dave

I...don't.

I leave the fat cap on for cooking (fat down) and the trim the fat off before slicing. Now if I'm chunking or chopping for catering, I'll leave it on for more flavor and less waste.

I think the question here should be, what does a GC do with his??? Come on Vince, give it up:redface:

I have started to trim the hat cap some. I put rub on the whole thing- will start to do it just before I put it omn the smoker too

We trim our fat and rub it all over...:biggrin:

- fat cap up on the WSM's
- fat cap down on pit
- fat both ways on offsets...

I think the question here should be, what does a GC do with his??? Come on Vince, give it up:redface:

I'm happy to answer my own question!

I, like most everyone, trim the fat cap as necessary. I cook fat side down in my WSM and do not season the fat cap. It just seems like a waste of rub to me since so much of the fat renders away, taking the rub with it.

However, I think shirt is what really does the trick!

Back