MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pork Butt & Propane...I Need Some Brethren Help!

Ok guys, I need some help...

I'm on vacation hundreds of miles from home. I've been asked to smoke a 10lb Boston butt this weekend. The problem is that my host only has a propane grill and a small wood chip box. What do I do?!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Ummm. Go buy a Smokey Joe?

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Turn one burner on low and place the meat on the other end, elevated in a pan if possible (foil pan and ring of crumpled foil will work). See what kind of temps you get before putting the meat on. If they are high then cover with foil partway through to prevent charring.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

^^^Yep. if the grill is big enough this should work.

KC

Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Turn one burner on low and place the meat on the other end, elevated in a pan if possible (foil pan and ring of crumpled foil will work). See what kind of temps you get before putting the meat on. If they are high then cover with foil partway through to prevent charring.
I think it will turn out great if done this way...heat, moisture, smoke.....I bet it will be fine.....

Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

Where do I place the box of wood chips?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
SmokinFatties
Full Fledged Farker

Place them close enough to the heat source that they will smoke. I've never used a box to smoke with but I have put wood chips in aluminum foil and put them directly on the coals while grilling. I'm assuming this will translate to what you are doing just fine. Then when the meat absorbed enough smoke and has a good bark I'd move it to the oven. Just me though cause this smokin on the propane grill would be outside my comfort zone.

Last edited by SmokinFatties; 03-22-2013 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: Mispellin
SmokinFatties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

season with a paste of liquid smoke and Hawaiian sea salt , wrap in plastic wrap and foil , fridge for 24 hours , remove plastic wrap , re-foil and cook in oven at 200-250 till almost done , finish on grill
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
landarc

I prefer foil bombs to wood chip box. My setup on foreign grills...

Remove one grate, that is where the heat will be.

Preheat grill, get to a temperature around 275F, almost all gas grills can do this easily.

Place meat on remaining grate, offset from heat.

Place foil bomb on radiant source directly over heat.

Close lid, monitor pit temperature. There will be some smoke initially that looks unsightly, do not worry, gas grills vent very well.

Cook as normal, until the meat is done, foiling works great on gas grills too.

To make foil bombs that work great, layout foil and place 2 cups of DRY chips in the center. Fold up sides, gift fold, fold up ends to be airtight. Punch 2 small holes in top of foil, about 1/2" long, not wide at all, almost like poking the tip of a knife in. All you need, but, you need 5 to 6 of these. Use one every 30 minutes. Just toss a new one in.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #10
Tony A
Full Fledged Farker

Mini wsm not too expensive and can never have enough of them one of my favorite smokers

Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I prefer foil bombs to wood chip box. My setup on foreign grills...

Remove one grate, that is where the heat will be.

Preheat grill, get to a temperature around 275F, almost all gas grills can do this easily.

Place meat on remaining grate, offset from heat.

Place foil bomb on radiant source directly over heat.

Close lid, monitor pit temperature. There will be some smoke initially that looks unsightly, do not worry, gas grills vent very well.

Cook as normal, until the meat is done, foiling works great on gas grills too.

To make foil bombs that work great, layout foil and place 2 cups of DRY chips in the center. Fold up sides, gift fold, fold up ends to be airtight. Punch 2 small holes in top of foil, about 1/2" long, not wide at all, almost like poking the tip of a knife in. All you need, but, you need 5 to 6 of these. Use one every 30 minutes. Just toss a new one in.
This. Works for beer-can chickens, too.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFatties View Post
Place them close enough to the heat source that they will smoke. I've never used a box to smoke with but I have put wood chips in aluminum foil and put them directly on the coals while grilling. I'm assuming this will translate to what you are doing just fine. Then when the meat absorbed enough smoke and has a good bark I'd move it to the oven. Just me though cause this smokin on the propane grill would be outside my comfort zone.
I was gonna say the same. Plus you don't want to run out of gas. I also liked the idea of finding a smokey joe or another cheap kettle.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
Bludawg

Simple answer>> "Sorry_______________ I don't cook on other peoples equipment" "You wouldn't want me sleeping with your wife now would ya?"

Old 03-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I would rather try a whole butt indirect on a big gasser than direct on a little bitty smoky joe burger cooker-sounds like a good way to burn it. Why does everybody hate on gas grills without reason so much here? I'm a die-hard live fire cooker and smoker, I own about a dozen charcoal/wood burning grills, smokers, and cookers, up to a whole-hog-sized stickburning trailer pit; but I have also cooked a lot of delicious food on a gas grill, nothing wrong with it. If it tastes good, I don't care what it was cooked on. Gassers have their uses, and it's a load of crap that you can't cook good food on them if you know what you're doing.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #15
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

I appreciate all of the feedback. I am cooking this thing Monday and I will definitely let you know how it turns out (hopefully with pron too). Thank you everyone!