MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Hot-n-fast ribs

Hey all,

Thought I’d try a shot at hot-n-fast ribs. I’ve been reading about hot-n-fast methods and was a little short on time so what the heck, huh. ( no guts, no glory, right! LoL)

I used Plowboys Yardbird rub and cooked’m at 280* for 2 hours, foiled’m for another hour with apple juice, brown sugar, butter and honey. Unwrapped them, glazed with a bbq sauce and honey mix. Let go for about 20min to set the glaze.

While they tasted real good and I got dinner done on time, I couldn’t win a contest with these. They were so FOB I couldn’t even cut them with a sharp knife without them tearing a little… I think I’ll stay with 235* cook temp and continue “not” to use foil. I have more control at that temp and like the way it comes out better.

It was still a good dinner

Thanks,
Boat

2 Bubba Keg Convection Grills
4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ
Boat-n-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Professor Salt
is one Smokin' Farker

I haven't done hot and fast on ribs yet, but I'll bet you it would work fine if you tweak the amount of time you foil. I find an hour at 250 can lead to FOB meat. At 280, it would probably mush up even quicker.
I cook on two WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber kettle, a Komodo Kamado plus UDS.
Super-fast purple Thermapen
Professor Salt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Low and Slow, 225 for 5 hours, rub before, and let em alone.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

As shown and talked about... this is not the way to to hot and fast ribs. It is using low and slow techniques and then cranking up the heat---- not at all a hot and fast.

Foiling was a way people could get around oversmoking and drying out the meat associated with lower temps. The adding of glazes, mists and liquids also get around the drying tendencies of low and slow.

Now I will make sure you all understand, I do not think low and slow if inferior, there are just rules and strategies with each that must be followed for optimal results.

I made a lot of mistakes in 1994. Foiling and hot and fast was one of them. Not heading the warning to never cheat on the girl I was cheating on my wife with, with a coworker that worked in the same place as my wife and my girlfriend was the other.

Next time give hot and fast a try and use the proper technique. You may get better results. The type that win tournaments as well... somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat-n-BBQ View Post
Hey all,

Thought I’d try a shot at hot-n-fast ribs. I’ve been reading about hot-n-fast methods and was a little short on time so what the heck, huh. ( no guts, no glory, right! LoL)

I used Plowboys Yardbird rub and cooked’m at 280* for 2 hours, foiled’m for another hour with apple juice, brown sugar, butter and honey. Unwrapped them, glazed with a bbq sauce and honey mix. Let go for about 20min to set the glaze.

While they tasted real good and I got dinner done on time, I couldn’t win a contest with these. They were so FOB I couldn’t even cut them with a sharp knife without them tearing a little… I think I’ll stay with 235* cook temp and continue “not” to use foil. I have more control at that temp and like the way it comes out better.

It was still a good dinner

Thanks,
Boat

Old 02-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #5
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Funk,

I found your heavily praised Rib post! I missed it the 1st time around. I'll take a look at your video to night after work. Can't wait!

Thanks so much for the pointer,
Boat

4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ

Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Looking tasty to me.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I like Hot and fast!! But it doesn't work for me on Ribs. They are much to unforgiving.
Anything OVER 300 and they will burn or get too done on you in a heartbeat.

So, for me 300 MAX on Ribs. 250-275 just right.

That's just my opinion and I really don't know Jack Didley anyway.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickassbbq View Post
I like Hot and fast!! But it doesn't work for me on Ribs. They are much to unforgiving.
Anything OVER 300 and they will burn or get too done on you in a heartbeat.

So, for me 300 MAX on Ribs. 250-275 just right.

That's just my opinion and I really don't know Jack Didley anyway.

Yeah thats why I covet your picture of prime rib, kick.

I am in agreement with what Kick says here. In my experience, on my PIT, 250 to about 300 average. I hit 270 with that shut down after they weep. 250 is an accidental temp for me, I mean I don't ever intentionally dial that in. Also, I like the ring to go only part way... not all the way in.

So this is why I don't start off slow like I do briskets. Also starting off slow anbd then ramping up tends to dry the meat. I don't foil so I don't have to worry about it not having enough smoke.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
likeadeere
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm sorry I have to post this - I'm sure it's a fluke. But I guess it's bbq, some things aren't an exact science. I have cooked ribs now a total of 4 times. I pay a lot of attention to what everyone says here, and I'm not the guy to ask for advice on pork. It's all new to me.

I bought a 2 pack of spareribs, after viewing a lot of pron here on the site, I knew I need to try them. The first pack I cooked for 6 hours on the traeger, according to a recipe on the traeger website. It doesn't call for a tin foil cook. I used a crap load of fuel, which is expensive. And the ribs turned out burnt on the thin ends. (no i didn't trim them like you're supposed to.) Those ribs weren't very good. I wasn't very pleased. So the next week I rubbed the next set the same and with a "screw it" attitude - cooked them at 350, on the traeger for 1 hr 15min. And, of course they were phenomenal. I had a co-worker eat the nextday leftovers and say they were the best he had ever eaten. I'm not sure what I did right, or necessarily wrong. But they were great.

Don't panic, I probably won't ever do them that way again, unless I'm really on a time constraint. I have since cooked a few pork ribs using the 3-2-1 method, low and slow, and had exceptional results.

I'm not afraid of making a few mistakes in my career. It will be a learning process I know. But this was an interesting, and unexpected result from a hot and fast cook.

joe
likeadeere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Joe, one of the odd things about what we do, we use meat, a naturally occuring and rather inconsistent base material to deal with. Once in a while, you will just get a cut that responds to a particular method. I have been moving my temps down a bit for ribs of late, down to 235F for two reasons, one of which is that this is a temperature my kettle will lock into and the other is that I get better color. But, once in a while, I get a slab that just does not like me, burns odd, over cooks, turns to mush...but, for consistency, my best racks have been done at 235F to 250F over the years. I do want to try the 'weep and shut down method' soon. You may have just hit on a combo of 350F for your meat and cooker that works.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Joe, one of the odd things about what we do, we use meat, a naturally occuring and rather inconsistent base material to deal with. Once in a while, you will just get a cut that responds to a particular method. I have been moving my temps down a bit for ribs of late, down to 235F for two reasons, one of which is that this is a temperature my kettle will lock into and the other is that I get better color. But, once in a while, I get a slab that just does not like me, burns odd, over cooks, turns to mush...but, for consistency, my best racks have been done at 235F to 250F over the years. I do want to try the 'weep and shut down method' soon. You may have just hit on a combo of 350F for your meat and cooker that works.
Yup, sound right to me. I like 235* also, but wanted to give this a try to see if I could combine products in one cooker and still get good results. Thought it might help my time table too. I haven't given up yet! We might be eating a lot of FOB ribs while I work on it though.. LoL

4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ

Old 02-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
leanza
Babbling Farker

I'm with Funk on the Hot and Fast,Pig Honey Weep ribs. I have had outstanding results using the combination of rubs he recomends and the Method. I have some good pics of them around here somewhere and my family likes the no sauce taste as a nice change up from the the sweet, spicey, good, foiled ribs that were accustomed too.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

OK, Funk, I saw your video and it definitely left me feelin like a cockroach!

Everyone needs to watch that.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PopdaddysBBQ#p/u/0/GbBFZstQRUY
Serious good info too. I gota give it a try!

4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ

Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I think you all take too much chit from your meat. You have to intimidate it, make sure the ribs know YOU are the boss.

I can toss ribs into an unlit pit and dare them to defy me. Here is the attitude you have to have when you peek in the pit and they ain't doing right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmczk...eature=related

Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can go with Hot and Fast on BB's, but spares gotta go lower and slower for me.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote