• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Knives...or something else...

C

colt45

In light of Bills loss.... I want to open up the knife discussion...

I have a $100 gift card to Williams Sonoma, and was thinking of buying a big meat slicing knife and some steak knives (cheaper ones)...

http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/...atccutotrb|p1|rshop/catccutb|p1|rshop/hme/hme

and

http://ww1.williams-sonoma.com/cat/...atccutotrb|p1|rshop/catccutb|p1|rshop/hme/hme

or getting real NICE set of steak knives...

any thoughts from my meat consuming brethren??? or should I get something else all together... say the Shun Classic Chef knife or something else? I currently own a set of Chicago Cutlery... which sharpens up nice but doesnt hold the edge very long...

I got the Professional S series of Henckels for Christmas. Free sharpening stick

Was like 170 or something.

Really sweet set of knives.

And there is a great thread in this forum on knives and knife care, but it was a while back. Just do a search on it in the forum.

I have the henckels chef series. fantastic set. I use them constantly. I'd say put that gift card toward an entire set, but that's me. Williams sonoma is probably a little costly. linens and things may be cheaper

let me clarify... I direct a choir... they bought me a $100 gift card to williams sonoma... so I cant use it anywhere else... but that website that MikeG posted sure is cool... if it were a Home Depot gift card I'd be getting a 60Q Bayou Classic Pot with Strainer Basket for doing Lobsters, Crabs, Crawfish, mussels, chili, etc in... but it's for williams sonoma... so I will be getting something there...

and yes greg... the knife sets at Williams sonoma are way to expensive... but if I get 1 REALLY GOOD KNIFE then it will fit in my budget ($100 gift card :) )

You related to Whoppi Goldberg ? :lol:

Individual is a good way to go. Then you can biuld the set exactly like you want it rather than being forced to by some knife that sucks.

I would do one nice knife. Think about it, you probably only use one knife right now, so you don't need a whole set.

Bigdog

Shop carefully -- even W-S has sales on cutlery. You might be able to pick up a couple of knives for $100. If you don't have one go for a 6 or 8 inch chef's knife or a good 6" boning knife. After picking a primary choice look for a good paring knife or some knife covers to protect those expensive blades.

Something else to consider would be to buy a good sharpener. I've got the Chef's Choice multi-edge diamond hone model (usually about $29) and really like it. Keeps even my older (quality but older) stainless knives in good shape -- it does a dynamite job on carbon steel knives.

Just a thought! Gift cards are great -- it drives me nuts having to decide what to buy, though :D

I just bought the Chef's Choice diamond hone a couple of months ago myself. Real pleased with it as I could never use a open stone worth a hoot. (Fooled you on that one.)

THE CHOICE...

ok so I went into Williams sonoma tonight :)... couldnt wait to spend my gift certificate... I got a 10" Henkels Professional S Carving Knife... and a Nice (didnt go for the henkels as it was twice as much and not as big) Carving Fork... and a Sausage Stuffer... got it all for like 140... the knife was 100...fork 30... sausage thingy for my kitchenaid was 15... got a 10% off coupon with my gift card if I used it before feb. 1... now I need to get a london broil or a brisket so I have something to carve... or some beer can chickens :)

josh

Damn Colt... had I read this sooner I would have tried to steer you to the slice you were looking at... great knife for brisket. Those hollow ground ovals really do help reduce drag and thereby the tearing of the meat.. I'm looking at getting one myself.. but propably the Forschner with the Fibrox handle... it's only about $55 or so... and you can get a real nice one at most restaurant supply houses.. oh well.. just my opinion.

Ray

Back