MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
ButtHuttBBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Question Party for 200

I am doing a party for a friend for about 200 people there will be 3 meats. Pork, Chicken and Brisket I know how much chicken I will need also pork at a loss of about 1/3 from raw. The big question is brisket is there really a loss of about 1/2 from raw?? I have never had to smoke that much brisket. They want me to give everyone a 3rd lb. of pork and brisket per person HELP.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtHuttBBQ View Post
I am doing a party for a friend for about 200 people there will be 3 meats. Pork, Chicken and Brisket I know how much chicken I will need also pork at a loss of about 1/3 from raw. The big question is brisket is there really a loss of about 1/2 from raw?? I have never had to smoke that much brisket. They want me to give everyone a 3rd lb. of pork and brisket per person HELP.
Are you cooking onsite? Or heat and eat? That's a heluva lot a food to do on your Lang and BWS.

As a rule of thumb, I normally get 15 regular size sandwiches out of a 10# pork butt. Brisket, depends on how you trim and slice it. Figure an easy loss of a 1/3 of the weight through cooking and trimming, plus shinkage. Also, there's no way that every person at that party is going to each 1# of meat. If the mix is 50/50 men and women, the women almost always eat less. One key is to not over cook the brisket, and slice thin. If you end up overcooking, you may have to slice too thick, which will throw off your yield. That same amount of brisket, when sliced, won't look the same as it would sliced thin. Just sayin'.

If you want to give me a call, I'll help you in any way I could. You have the number.

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Mad About Que
On the road to being a farker

for 200 peeps

pork (50%loss).. buy 100lbs..will yield about 50+ lbs.. (12ish butts)
brisket (40% loss).. 82-85lbs. no this is tricky. leaving the point on and slicing or doing burnt ends??
chicken .. 25 chickens.. and cut into 8ths...or buy em already cut up into small pieces.. or all theighs (then i'd only buy 175 pieces...)

that being said, thats a lot, i mean A LOT of food. pork goes a long way with 2 other meats, and so does the chicken. brisket has issues as giggler mentioned, you'll have "scraps" from the cutting process. if you can just buy flats, do that. you'll need 76lbs. you don't want to run out..

next question.. whats that goint to cost ya?
pork $135ish
brisket $188ish
yardbirds $175 (if you buy 3.5lb'rs)

$500 rounded up, plus tax. is your frined selling it or just have a big mofo party? if so (my prices) i'd be charging $1460 for the meats..

Last edited by Mad About Que; 02-21-2011 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: over stated the yardbirds..
Mad About Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Mad about Que is right near what I would be looking at.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:16 AM   #5
ButtHuttBBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I’m cooking on site with the brisket and chicken (thighs and legs) but will smoke the butts a day or two before and re warm. The party is in a VFW with a nice kitchen (two ovens).I have my lang#60 a fat boy , 22.5 & 18.5 WSM and my homemade 275gal chicken cooker.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Remember to get plenty of help from people that know BBQ and can fallow instructions.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Mad About Que
On the road to being a farker

for a group that size.. i agree, need some assist. not too many folks. i'd have one shadow and one runner.. but thats me. i'm a control freak.. ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Remember to get plenty of help from people that know BBQ and can fallow instructions.