MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default Cutting Racks of Ribs in Half - question

I've got a dumb question that I think I know the answer to but would like confirmation....

Sean and I are planning on trying out approx. 10-12 recently bought rubs or combinations of rubs on ribs and chicken this Sunday or next.... The goal being to cook them all at once, agree on the 2 -3 three favorites and then continue to practice with those and narrow it down until the first contest. We'll do the same with the pork shoulder and brisket next but variety of rubs we wish to test are not as broad.

I'd prefer not to buy 10-12 racks for this purpose... especially if we don't like the finished flavor. I was thinking of just cutting the ribs in half this one time.

If I cut the ribs in half, should the ribs take approximately the same amount of time to cook as they would if the rack was left whole ?

Thoughts ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Frisco_Smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter
I've got a dumb question that I think I know the answer to but would like confirmation....

Sean and I are planning on trying out approx. 10-12 recently bought rubs or combinations of rubs on ribs and chicken this Sunday or next.... The goal being to cook them all at once, agree on the 2 -3 three favorites and then continue to practice with those and narrow it down until the first contest. We'll do the same with the pork shoulder and brisket next but variety of rubs we wish to test are not as broad.

I'd prefer not to buy 10-12 racks for this purpose... especially if we don't like the finished flavor. I was thinking of just cutting the ribs in half this one time.

If I cut the ribs in half, should the ribs take approximately the same amount of time to cook as they would if the rack was left whole ?

My thinking is yes...it should, as the thickness is still the same.

Thoughts ?

I think they might take less time. You'd get heat from one additional side for each half. So, I think you get better heat penetration thus reducing cook time.

I could be wrong though.. just the way logic is taking me.
[B][COLOR=darkred]Gig'em Aggies!
[/COLOR][/B]
Frisco_Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
stan
is one Smokin' Farker

I cut them in half from time to time and try different rubs on them. I think they may take a little less time but not much.
County Line Smokers Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Member - CBJ #20654
Pitmaker BBQ Vault mounted in a 12 Foot Competition Trailer
22 1/2 Weber Kettle, Stainless Steel gaser
chunks of wild cherry, pecan, oak
stan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Vinny,

Why don't you buy 5 racks, keep em' whole and just season each half differently. Mark them with toothpicks or make a sketch so you don't get them mixed up?

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Thanks guys...

Very Good point Third Eye... So Simple.....

We were definitely planning on marking with toothpicks to know what each one had, but totally crossed my mind to split the rack with a rub on each side toothpick them accordingly....

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Thanks guys...

Very Good point Third Eye... So Simple.....

We were definitely planning on marking with toothpicks to know what each one had, but totally crossed my mind to split the rack with a rub on each side toothpick them accordingly....
Either way works, but if you decide to cut them in half, the time difference is minor. It might be a little less, but since you are not going to be cooking them by a strict time clock [are you? ] it is not enough to matter. So if it is eaiser to keep track of the different rubs by seperating them, that is what I would do.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

I'm with ya qman...

No strict time clocks here... Learned that lesson a while ago... it's done when it's done.... no sooner, no later.

Just wanted to confirm if my estimated times would stay close to the same.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I'm with ya qman...

No strict time clocks here... Learned that lesson a while ago... it's done when it's done.... no sooner, no later.

Just wanted to confirm if my estimated times would stay close to the same.
Yup, don't thing you will notice the difference.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:40 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

One advantage to leaving the racks whole is that you might find a really good blend of rubs on one of those middle ribs

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 12:50 AM   #10
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

I think the bigger issue is who else will you ask to help you judge which ribs are the best.....Perhaps some local KCBS judges????????????????
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2006, 02:48 AM   #11
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker
I think the bigger issue is who else will you ask to help you judge which ribs are the best.....Perhaps some local KCBS judges????????????????
i'm available for this as well
KCBS CBJ #7220

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2017 Will Happen
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #12
BrooklynQ
Banned

Same here.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 09:18 AM   #13
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I would come but being that since last night i cant even hold down water you might get insulted!
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #14
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck
I would come but being that since last night i cant even hold down water you might get insulted!
I hope it wasn't something you ate yesterday. Or the day before.

Feel better Steve.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #15
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

No i doubt it. My wife had the same stomach virus last week. Now i ts my turn i suppose. It really sucks!
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote