MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Default Wicked Good Charcoal

Have they just gone away? I can not find the product any more and their web site has had this message "Our WGC is temporarily sold out"

I looked around this site and did not see anything....
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Plaid Palace
On the road to being a farker

Kamado Joe lump comes from the same manufacturing plant in Argentina as WGWW. Trying picking up a bag of it and see how it compares.
Plaid Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I've heard Wicked Good has had some quality issues, so that may explain it.

And no, KJ lump is not the same. I spoke with one of the owners a month ago about something else and I asked him that question since I see it here all if the time. He said it is not the same. They are both South American, but are sourced from different countries. I like KJ lump better.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Uncle JJ
Full Fledged Farker

I found Wicked Good at a local Ace Hardware here in ATL. I also bought a bag of KJ lump. More large pieces in the WG, but other than that, I can't tell a difference.

If you email WG, they can help you find local vendors. They responded quickly to me.
Uncle JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Personally I think the WG Weekend Warrior lump is over rated and over priced. I'll stick with RO lump or the Publix Greenwise brand.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Indybbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Wicked Good charcoal is great quality wood with less ash than Kingsford but I've found Stubbs charcoal is a pretty similar product....being 100% natural like Wicked Good and burns just as good.
Indybbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Plaid Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
I've heard Wicked Good has had some quality issues, so that may explain it.

And no, KJ lump is not the same. I spoke with one of the owners a month ago about something else and I asked him that question since I see it here all if the time. He said it is not the same. They are both South American, but are sourced from different countries. I like KJ lump better.
Nu, I'm not disputing what you are saying but I called KJ customer service and asked them about KJ lump and what I posted above is what they told me. Did you speak to someone at WGWW or KJ?
Plaid Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Palace View Post
Nu, I'm not disputing what you are saying but I called KJ customer service and asked them about KJ lump and what I posted above is what they told me. Did you speak to someone at WGWW or KJ?
One of the owners at KJ. He went into specific detail as to what South American countries they source their wood from and the woods they use, and what country WGWW sources wood from. I guess it is possible they are produced in the same factory maybe, but the sources of the woods are different.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholloway View Post
Personally I think the WG Weekend Warrior lump is over rated and over priced. I'll stick with RO lump or the Publix Greenwise brand.
I don't know about that man! Unless they have slipped in quality I don't think there's a better lump on the planet than Wicked. I always used RO and down here we have B&B, (both of which are very good) but the Wicked Good that I used in the past was twice as dense, burned longer, hotter and with less ash production. I remember holding a piece that was so heavy and hard feeling that it reminded me of black obsidian rock. Wicked Good, when it's wicked good is just a different animal all together IMHO !LOL

Old 07-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
Jethro1

They have slipped in quality for sure. I just split a pallet with CarolinaQue, and the stuff was kind of crappy. Wasn't impressed at all. It burned way too quick and left more ash than it used to. Mostly annoyed it burned up so quick. Not what they used to be.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro1 View Post
They have slipped in quality for sure. I just split a pallet with CarolinaQue, and the stuff was kind of crappy. Wasn't impressed at all. It burned way too quick and left more ash than it used to. Mostly annoyed it burned up so quick. Not what they used to be.
Well that figures! Houses have gone from being built with brick and real 2x4s to OSB and 1 1/5 x 2 1/2s, Cadillacs went from full sized, solid steel luxury cars to over priced, slightly nicer looking, half plastic Chevy Malibus and now Wicked Good has gone wicked bad! Is it just me or is everything going to hades in a hand basket!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Mklade
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

B&B Oak Lump is great.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

The WGWW I have used has been great but is no longer available through my local ACE. I tried KJ a couple of weeks ago and liked it a lot even though the pieces were smaller. Both brands are more dense and burn longer than the red bag RO.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

I just got a pallet of it. Best lump I have used.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
Charcoal_Addict

WGC is always sold out in the summer. It's the Canadians that have to shop around for alternatives. Minus being hard to light, I've used it several time and the WGC is top notch.