• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ to go!

AR Pork Producer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to smoke some meat at home to take to my sons' house. He lives one and a half hour away. I'm thinking about a 10 pound boston butt with bone in. I usually smoke these at 220 degrees yo a internal temp of 190 or so. I have a very thick styrofoam cooler that holds temp pretty good. My question is, do I need to pull the meat about 10 degrees early if I wrap and put in the cooler. I have read where it it gain about 10 degrees if you wrap and let it sit. I think the meat will still be good and warm by the time I get there. I am looking for any suggestions as I have never let meat set this long before eating. This would be easier than loading the cooker and doing it there.

AR Pork Producer

for butts-- smoke to 200 internal,double wrap in foil then a damp towel or newspaper,& into the cooler. it'll still be hot enough to burn your fingers when ya get there.no need to pull the pork off early.

blues n cue got it right there.......I travel butts to South Carolina from Florida like that all the time....and it more of a 10 hour drive,

Ditto what blues n cues said. I take ribs to a friends house an hour away from home with this method.

Like the others, I've found 200 to be the target temp for butt. If that cooler is truly going to hold as well as a good plastic cooler, then pull it off the smoker around 193. If you are concerned that the syrofoam cooler may not be as good, wrap the butt in a towel then put in in the cooler.

That butt will remain hot for hours in the right holder. I usually have mine off by 9 am and hold them in an Igloo til afternoon.

Back