Peoples Choice Question

ewchippe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a contest coming up in a couple of weeks that has a peoples choice contest from 5:00 - 10:00 on Friday night. It is pretty cool, because the tickets cost $1 per ticket and they give back 90% of all tickets collected back to the team. I see this as a pretty decent opportunity to recoup some money spent.

My question is: What should be served?
You should want something that would cost less than .90 each, so that you could make some money. It can be of any size or product as long as it is BBQ.

I am leaning towards a pulled pork slider with a hot link slice on top. Does this sound OK? Let me know if you have any better ideas.

90 cents a serving, you won't recoup anything. But it's thoughtful on the organizers part.

I was figuring I could do a pulled pork slider for about .50-.60 a serving, am I wrong?

Yes, I think you're wrong. The bun alone, even cheap cheap cheap, is probably going to cost $0.14. Small servings, you're going to get 16 per 9lb butt, the butt without seasoning will cost you what, $17? Unseasoned, before cooking anything, we're at $1.10 IF we get that on sale sale sale. Then sauce, it varies WILDLY. Fuel in your smoker, plus spices and seasonings. I think cheap, and I mean CHEAP you're looking at $1.50 each in cost; absolute minimum.

Me, I use better seasonings, only get fresh un-enhanced butts, use expensive sauces plus my own expensive sauce mixture, and dont skimp on meat; I'm looking at a cost around $2.50 per sandwich. That doesnt factor in anything like time.

Yep. That's why it's a fun expensive hobby.

Hey Lakedogs, I was figuring you would be able to get about 90 servings per 9lb butt. If its on a small dinner roll, I would assume about 1-2 oz servings. I was figuring .20 per roll and about $35 for pork/rubs/sauces/fuel. This is why I am asking though, I love getting everyones opinions.

9 pound butt-50% loss=4.5 pounds of meat.

4.5lbs x 16=72 ounces total meat yield.

72oz. / 90=.80 ounces of meat per sandwich. That is a tiny sandwich. That is less meat (about 1/2) than in a McDonalds hamburger.

Hey Lakedogs, I was figuring you would be able to get about 90 servings per 9lb butt. If its on a small dinner roll, I would assume about 1-2 oz servings. I was figuring .20 per roll and about $35 for pork/rubs/sauces/fuel. This is why I am asking though, I love getting everyones opinions.

Looking back, you did say slider. Boy, that's tight, and TINY... (see above).

Go for it. If you do break even; score. But honestly, BBQ comps are a hobby, a fairly expensive hobby. I do it largely in areas close to home mainly to entertain my friends and if/when I do well; bonus.

Thanks LakeDogs and Landarc also, I am not doing this to make money, but I don't want to spend a ton extra on the peoples choice when the main thing I am working for is the comp on Saturday.

Skip the slider. Just do 2oz of pork in a cup. Don't waste time with the bread. And you should be charging 2 tickets per sample.

Trust me on this one.

i dunno, meat in a cup????:wacko:

i know what you're saying, but still, meh.

maybe an open slider? small portion on 1/2 of a roll?

Thanks LakeDogs and Landarc also, I am not doing this to make money, but I don't want to spend a ton extra on the peoples choice when the main thing I am working for is the comp on Saturday.

and of course, let's be clear, ya aint gonna make money on either. both will be fun, for sure! and that's the cost of entry, but you mentioned recouping. i just wanted to be realistic. :wink:

I totally agree with Bigmista. The price of 2oz cups, PP and sauce gives you the best opportunity to make a small profit. Almost anything else is a waste of time and $.

i dunno, meat in a cup????:wacko:

i know what you're saying, but still, meh.

maybe an open slider? small portion on 1/2 of a roll?

It's a sample of the bbq. You can put it on a boat, tray, bowl, whatever. The bread is extra hassle and expense that you don't need, especially if all you are looking for is to cover some of your costs with comp meat.

Personally, I make money on contests but I feed a lot more people doing PC than most folks. If you are planning on just doing your leftover comp meats, you can look to cover your gas money or maybe even your entry fee. If you plan on doing more, make sure the contest draws enough of a crowd to support cooking extra meats.

1st year contests don't draw much of a crowd unless they are tied to some other existing event.

Okay Bigmista.. if you are charging two tickets and you have these long lines.. are you the last man standing or do other teams in your area cook a ton for PC also?

I need the straight dope. Farker has gots to know.

Around here they give you two butts to cook then you serve pulled pork in a cup. You don't come up with your own menu item.

Back