Tell us about your missed score “the one that got away”

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
TELL US ABOUT YOUR MISSED SCORE “THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY”.
I know you search for BBQ related bargains all the time. If you’re like me, it becomes an obsession.

You missed out either because you waited too long, you’re too cheap or for once you tried showing a little self control.

Both of my MISSED SCORE’S were on Craigslist.
First one was an older SS Red Performer for $25. :doh: It had something wrong with the ash pan. (no big deal! Just call weber and order some parts, right?) I was first to reply and had first shot at it and turned it down. (tried showing a little self control)
Now I just think about the one that got away.

Second was a Weber Rotisserie for $40. I had previous plans for that day so I was not able to try for it at all. (plus, I waited too long thinking about getting it.) :frusty:

An original Oklahoma Joe offset for only $400.00 that was in really good shape judging from the pics.

Just last year an original, thick steel Bandera for $175. Waited and waited. When I finally called it was gone by an hour.

He who hesitates is lost.

Ugh - today. A Weber OTS, $45. It was up for 2 weeks.....but not anymore(sniffle).
I'm depressed.

This has the potential to be a great thread.

Okay,

Lowes had this generic rotisserie that looked to just set on top of a grill... it was built like my hot dog cooker I have from Nostalgia Electronics.

It was marked "Clearance" and priced @ $19.95 (marked down by $80)

I put it in my cart, but changed my mind when I got in line. You see, I've been taking a lot of crap from the missus lately about my inability to say NO to anything BBQ.

I put it back, changed my mind, and went back up there an hour later to get it: it was gone.

The woman who was my cashier said a guy behind me in line watched me remove it from my cart, and he picked it up and looked at it, and told her to "ring it up."

I really didn't need it, but I still think about it.

OH... and just so you guys all know:

I can quit ANYTIME I want to. It's not like I'm addicted, like you guys are.

Near miss: Weber Ranch

Saw a Weber Ranch, like new condition for $300 within an hour drive. I was the second one to reply..........:icon_sad

Jumbo Joe great condition (from the pic)... $15... 5 min drive. Was the second one to email the seller by less than 40mins. AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! :icon_pissed

Holy crap, what a bad year to ask this question! My lovely wife has had some health issues this year and I've had to stay close to home. As a result I have missed on:

50$ stainless performer for the cabin

Two FREE weber gas three burners for the cabin

22.5 weber rotisserie $25

Small big green egg with nest for $50 at a garage sale someone was there b4 me, hope it was a brotheren

However, my wife is coming through her problems well, and that is priceless.

Weber Ranch Kettle on CL. I was second in line, BigMista got me. The only one I've seen on CL in 4 years. Atleast it went to a great home.

Jade Dynasty 42" grill. Asking 450 - I held at 400 for a week. He finally agrees to let me have it at 400, then sells it out from under me I assume for more money. The grill is close to 4K new. Similar situations with other grills, I'm always looking - but I definitely don't need any more.

I missed out on a couple of really cheap WSMs lately. One of them was a C that went for $20 I think. The other went for $35.

But my scores far outweigh my losses, including 4 Smokey Joe Silvers, 2 Smokey Joe Platinums, and a WSM - all for under $300

Jade Dynasty 42" grill. Asking 450 - I held at 400 for a week. He finally agrees to let me have it at 400, then sells it out from under me I assume for more money. The grill is close to 4K new. Similar situations with other grills, I'm always looking - but I definitely don't need any more.

I had someone sell to someone else once. I don't care for folks that think that way. :confused:

Mine was an old redhead Performer on CL, too. It was forty bucks, IIRC. I just saw it too late. :doh:

CD

a ranch kettle for 200
a brown imperial sequoia for 75 (i think)

it's for the better i guess. my wife isn't super enthused about the 19 kettles i have right now.

Back