brisket substitute

northern smokey

Knows what a fatty is.
hello all
i am looking for a substitute to beef brisket. i live in northern british columbia and for some reason all i can get is corned beef. i asked to order one in and they want to charge $8 a pound just a little out of my price range.
thank you

hello all
i am looking for a substitute to beef brisket. i live in northern british columbia and for some reason all i can get is corned beef. i asked to order one in and they want to charge $8 a pound just a little out of my price range.
thank you

Move to a real country?

If you can get beef short ribs, or beef chuck ribd, they are often called brisket on a stick

I'm not familiar with your area, but perhaps there is a local farmer's market, meat market, or butcher that you could speak with that would be a little easier on the price.

I'm in SE Michigan, and grocery store brisket is fairly expensive here as well, but I can typically save between $1-2/lb by purchasing from the local butcher if I can give him a week's notice.

Good luck!

If your asking what cuts will compare to a brisket... sadly, not many if any at all... However there are many other great things to be done with beef other than steaks... As mentioned earlier pulled beef and beef ribs are awesome!

Don't feel too bad tho, I can't get "quality" local beef AT ALL! I'm looking at $25 for USDA Choice (Ribeye)

SmileItCouldBeWorse.jpg

:heh:

Cheers.

I have to agree with Chris, try smoking a chuck roast. I slice mine rather than pull it and although it is not brisket I think it might do the trick for you.

hello all
thank you

I'd agree with some of the other guys on here......smoke a chuck roast. I did a couple this weekend and my friends said they actually preferred it to brisket.

I smoke it hot....maybe 300.....and wrapped it at 170. Take it to 200-ish and unwrap it. Put it back in to firm up the bark and start probing. It will get that very soft feeling when probing. When you hit that point, take it off to rest. I sliced it instead of pulling it and let me tell you...it vanished in a flash :becky::becky:

I would agree with Phrasty, hard to substitue brisket. Chuckie works great for pulled beef. Maybe a shoulder clod would be more readily avaiable for you in your area.

Here in DC I have a hard time finding brisket that isn’t corned here as well. The grocery stores in the city don’t sell really big cuts of meat.
This weekend my son left for a two week boy scout canoe trip and for his going away diner I did a 6lb beef shoulder cut on the UDS at 230. It was done in 5 hours had a nice bark and was fork tender. Just the right amount of meat for 4 people with enough left over for one more meal.

Go find a cattle farmer and ask him... or a butcher... I'm just south of BC in Spokane... we've got LOTS down here! Come on down! :) pick up a case and create the hype up there! LOL
I've never tasted anything quite like brisket... that's why it is and will always be one of my favorite cuts of beef!

Back