MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #16
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Lyfetyme offsets are all over Texas. The problem I have living in Texas is not picking one smoker/cooker but keeping it under 15. 15 is the number my wife said she will make an appointment with a counselor specializing in OCD. Serious.
Lyfetyme are heavy will last a life time and come in many configurations. But I agree with previous post that if you have a custom pit maker near you that can build a pit "just for you" that would be cool having your initials in the serial number.

My brother has a 9 grand custom Klose with his name all over it. Pretty cool. No Very Cool awesome machine. A masterpiece actually.
But I can cook better and easier (family taste test not scientific) on my Pit Barrel Cooker. His came on a semi, My wife can load the PBC in her Truck and deliver it to me ;-)

Guess what I'm saying is goodness dude (and dudettes) lots of choices in the lone Star State.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
MilitantSquatter

In addition to the other pit builders in TX already noted, another is Pits by JJ that quite a few here have purchased from and have been very pleased with the quality.

http://www.pitsbyjj.com/
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
kujay
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm similarly situated to the OP and will be in the market soon. No comps, just want a quality backyard setup.

Are there any local options in KC that stand up to (or close to) Jambo, Lang, et al?
kujay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
UUUUUhhhhh I am going to Granbury next weekend to pick up my first new smoker. I can not imagine not calling Billy with R and O smokers if I lived in the same town.

Top notch build quality and right down the street. Jambo would be my second choice, all things considered.
I've lived in Granbury 41 years and had no clue this place even existed. I'll definitely be checking them out in person. May be out of my price range, though... those pits are pretty amazing.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
TheBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujay View Post
I'm similarly situated to the OP and will be in the market soon. No comps, just want a quality backyard setup.

Are there any local options in KC that stand up to (or close to) Jambo, Lang, et al?
Yoder is not far from kc...

Why do people recommend a trailer smoker when the op specifically stated a backyard, non comp smoker?
TheBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
AZScott
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
UUUUUhhhhh I am going to Granbury next weekend to pick up my first new smoker. I can not imagine not calling Billy with R and O smokers if I lived in the same town.

Top notch build quality and right down the street. Jambo would be my second choice, all things considered.
I second this. I have a 14' R&O that was custom made and I love it. Billy makes a fine pit and he's in your town.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirknwrk View Post
Please explain to me the reason for double smoke stacks on these.
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #23
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScott View Post
I second this. I have a 14' R&O that was custom made and I love it. Billy makes a fine pit and he's in your town.
I saw the pictures of your smoker on Facebook. That is really something amazing!

Old 08-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

According to their website... using the lower stack on the Peoria cooker gives a more or less even temperature between the upper and lower cooking grids. Using the upper one only creates a considerable temperature difference between the grids... You can use both for max airflow. Think there's another brand of offset that does the same thing.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #25
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

The reason I ask is because I have never seen that before.
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #26
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
I am long-term planning for an offset smoker to use for my own enjoyment. I'm not competing and likely won't move it much if at all. I've looked at offset smokers at sporting good stores that are in the $400-$600 range and I just feel they aren't the quality that I would enjoy. It seems around $2000 is the entry point for an offset smoker with a 24" diameter chamber that's 4' long or so. I want something made of heavy enough steel and air tight so that regulating temp won't be that tough.

I have suspected (hoped) that the Jambo Backyard smoker at $1895 would be a really high quality smoker. That's the base price... what options are available and what realistically is the "out the door" price? I've also seen the Horizon Marshal Backyard which has roughly the same measurements. The Lang 48" patio is the same size chamber, but with reverse flow and a smaller firebox.

Is there another smoker I should be considering? Anybody know if one of these is more fuel efficient than the other or easier to control temps? What other considerations am I missing?

Either way there is no wrong answer...But since you asked...

Lang 48 patio...Done...Next...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #27
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

My backyard jambo uses very little wood and grate temps are consistent across the pit. The finish quality and craftsmanship is first class. I will never part with it unless I have a j-3 parked in my garage first.
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Got my used jambo last year at this time. I can't speak for other's but for some one that had NEVER cooked on a stick burner I could NOT be happier. When one learn's how to build a fire and let it burn down to cook temp......then just throw a log on...repeat. Wonderful wonderful cooker. I can NOT imagine NOT using a stick burner for my important cooks.