MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron
Default Which Cambro

Hey Brethren, the wife wants to get me a Cambro for my birthday. (I think she wants me to quite getting her coolers dirty)

I have spent the last two hours reading the archives, but my head starts spinning when trying to figure out which one is best for me.

I cook 90% for home use, but try to load up the smoker. The other 10% is for friends events and parties.

Any advice which model to get?

Thanks in advance.

Ron
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Searching "Which Cambro" gave a much narrow search and helped a lot. Great search function. I just have to get more specific as it is huge.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I looked at the prices of cambro's and was blown away--i just shook my head. I bought a used cooler in good condition at the flea market for $2 the other day.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I would go with the UPC400. Or look at a Carlisle of similar size. You can save a few bucks with the Carlisle. We have one of each and they both work fine.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

If you mostly cook at the house, do you really need a Cambro? You could buy a couple of pretty nice coolers and have some money left over for meat.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Cambros are good if you're catering or vending but for home use I'd stick to coolers lined with newspaper and towels.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

It is the 10% that I travel with food that is the pain. So, I guess small catering, but not really. May grow, who knows.

I know the S series is without an exterior gasket. Is that a big deal?

Old 07-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
eggzlot
Take a breath!

I have the 400 and S series, no issues with no gaskets. I like the 400 vs the 300, the extra space comes in handy. I even use it for non BBQ purposes when we have large parties sometimes we make large trays of Italian food and I can heat it up and keep it stored in the cambro so I am not cooking when guests come over, or it frees up oven space to use for appetizers that you want to serve immediately.
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
Diva Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I would recommend a UPC400 we have a couple of them and they are terrific. We have used them for both catering and competition and the size is fantastic.

Checkout my new Cookbook on [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Qs-Barbecue-Recipes-Cooking/dp/0147529824"][B]AMAZON[/B][/URL]

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Life is too short for bad BBQ[/B][/SIZE]®[/CENTER]
Diva Q is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Luke, I don't need a boat, nor three smokers, nor a few grills, a SUV and probably could make a good argument for half the Shart I own. But, the wife wants to get me something I want and normally wouldn't buy myself for the fear of getting the cast iron pan I didn't need upside the head. :-)

Last edited by Mrfish; 07-28-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
BBQ Tim
On the road to being a farker

I have the UPC400 and it works great for competitions and family parties (especially around the holidays).
BBQ Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

My advice is to think a head… NOT what you are doing know BUT what you may WANT to do later!!!
I caterer a bit and found the Gambro 400 a bit too heavy to load and unload by myself on gigs… the Gambro UPC 300 is perfect for that. I have them for hot items and some for cold items. They all stack nice and can be moved by one person in a pinch. I have mine color coded… One color for hot and one color for chilled items…. The 400 is bigger but so hard to move with one person loaded…. I advice think in the future even for a simple party, birthday, wedding shower, graduation, family reunions, family cook outs…. Go with 2 UPC 300…. Save that money from the 400 and put to a second UPC 300!!!!!!!!!!

Free up that fridge... you can store your slaw, tater salad, sliced veggies and so much more with a 2nd Cambro!!!!

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #13
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I use upc 400, the upc 300 is one tray smaller...Rest Depo has the upc 400 for under 300 bucks..mine are gasket-less

Old 07-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

With the UPCS400 model the owner can add bolt on wheels instead of having to buy the Camcart which is quite heavy. That is the other difference besides the gasket less door. Because of the weight, when I load up the Cambro for travel, I place it in the van empty and then load the food into it. At my destination, I find someone to help bring it down to ground level and then wheel it around.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish View Post
Luke, I don't need a boat, nor three smokers, nor a few grills, a SUV and probably could make a good argument for half the Shart I own. But, the wife wants to get me something I want and normally wouldn't buy myself for the fear of getting the cast iron pan I didn't need upside the head. :-)
It's time to strike while the iron is hot! (Everybody needs a new toy now and then.)

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote