Jerky ala Spicewine

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Found a couple of chunks of beef at the store that were marked down a bit that seemed like prime candidates for jerky.

Trimmed them up a bit to get most of the surface fat off.

Raw_zps9065a44e.jpg

Quick trip down to the basement for a date with the Hobart.........spent about 5 times as long cleaning the thing as I did slicing, but it sure does a nice job.

Sliced_zps971622ef.jpg

Went with a mix of K salt, pink salt, black pepper, white pepper, onion powder, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, and Stubbs beef marinade. Put the slices in and left it over night, with a toss and mix by hand when ever I thought about it.

Cure_zps4857dd56.jpg

Into the spicewine with a little hickory for the smoke. I love using the spicewine for making jerky, super easy to keep the heat down. 5 lbs of meat used up about 3 1/2 racks not packed in very tight.

Smoker_zps2c63f2fb.jpg

Kept the temps between 90 and 120 or so until it looked done. Didn't pay much attention to the times, kind of started in the morning and finished in the evening. 7 hours maybe.........

Done2_zps95f2f129.jpg

Fresh out of the smoker, still had a couple of spot of moisture, but they dried right out before getting bagged before bed.

Between the kids and giving some away, it doesn't last long.

Looks great! I have yet to make beef jerky, but it is very, very high on my list of things to do.

That looks awesome! I've got a bunch of venison sliced up and ready to make jerky. In the past I've always made it in my dehydrator but I think think it'll go in the smoker this go around.

That looks awesome! I've got a bunch of venison sliced up and ready to make jerky. In the past I've always made it in my dehydrator but I think think it'll go in the smoker this go around.

Go easy with the smoke.......a little bit goes a long way on jerky.

That would last me about four days... ok maybe two. :mrgreen: Looks addicting Joe!! Mighty tasty. :thumb:

Back