• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Well here i go again

DevineSwine

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Its time for my second packer on the UDS. I will be covering the cook starting Sat morning. Its 18 lbs before trimming and i will inject with beef base and AuJu i will rub it with garlic powder salt pepper and onion powder. I am torn right now as to hot n fast or slow n low.

if this is just your second, start out where you have a cushion and think about the slower method...However this being so big at 18 pounds you might want to start out low and start cranking up towards the higher temps...allow the heat to soak in and then the higher heat will set your bark...good luck..take some notes tracking at grate temp vrs meat temp vrs time...watch your plateau around 170* this is where tracking will hep you understand...and remember when its done its done ...my first packer 15 pounder...cooked for 18 hours and that was extremly good brisket..and I learned then that it will tell you when to take off...it will drive you nuts sometimes when they do not feel tender...
also of note, I am not one to keep looking at it, keep the door shut and watch the meat temps on a remote. Slower cooks will yeild less shrikage, nicer color, beter texture..The fast cooks I feel have better flavor, so you have to find a happy middle ground..

Last edited:
Is there a temp where your UDS likes to run? Most cookers seem to have a sweet spot where they run best. Whatever that is that is the temp that I would cook at since you'll get a better burn. My preference is 250 - 270, but if that means fighting the pit then it's not worth it.

Is there a temp where your UDS likes to run? Most cookers seem to have a sweet spot where they run best. Whatever that is that is the temp that I would cook at since you'll get a better burn. My preference is 250 - 270, but if that means fighting the pit then it's not worth it.
[/QUOTE great point on fighting the pit...to add to this further, once you find the temp that the pit runs the easiest know what each grate is doing..

Thanks for the info fellas i will use to my benefit for sure. My uds likes 275-290 with no fuss and ive just got a Mav732 so i am pretty stoked to cook without lookin this time around. Turns out i have to cook Sun due to a change in my work schedule.

Hit all the temps, I like a variety of temps when I cook, I love the challenge :wacko:

hey that makes me think what do you guys when your cookin? I usually find something that will take the time of what iam cooking.

So nice and early this morning in Michigan some lunatic started a charcoal chimney to put his on
phone122_zps6ce9c4d5.jpg

phone121_zps75d9cf62.jpg

Pics are backwards sorry. This is the first cook ive done with my Mav732 and ive gotta say i am an idiot for not doing it sooner. A cook without one of these is like a framer without a air nailer:crazy:.

Back