MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite to cook on or eat food cooked on the pit?
Pitmaker BBQ vault or vertical style cabinet insulated smoker 7 21.21%
Reverse flow offset such as a Lang 60 10 30.30%
Traditional offset 8 24.24%
Ole hickory cto 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
jmoney7269
Banned

Default Ole Hickory CTO vs. BBQ vault vs. Lang 60

Have been researching and would like to hear the opinions of people who cook on any of these. Some say that food tastes better off an offset with clean burning wood, some say it was cooked in an oven. The ole hickory seems pretty nice, the BBQ vault would be the least upkeep, but the Lang- well wood is cheap and we got lots of post oak and pecan in my area. Jump in!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Traditional Offset For the Win! Lol I'm Biased of course
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Pic Grill.jpg (85.2 KB, 295 views)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Depends on your use really.

I've cooked on a couple of stick burners. Love em, but they're a bit of work at least as far as fire maintenance goes.

Cabinet smokers are more of a "set and forget" mentality.

LOVE the CTO, but then you gotta have power. The built in thermo is KING though.

If you plan to cook a lot of meat, the Vault will hold more than the CTO. CTO has more temp variation from top to bottom than the vault, but less than the traditional offset. Of course, some folks like that variable temp throughout the cooker too for versatility.

Not played with a reverse offset like a Lang personally.

Again, depends on how much meat you plan to cook at once, portability, etc. They're all great for Q and as versatile as the cook wants to be.

Out of all that I have cooked on, I think I love the Jambo the most, which is a "traditional" offset. Awesome cooker.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
KentuckyLandSales
Knows what a fatty is.

the previous owner of 5, yes five Langs - and two Ole Hickorys, I vote for Ole Hickory.

Wood is cheap, but do you want to get up at 1am and start splitting wood, light a fire and keep it burning all night? Fun the first time - well, not really.

With the Ole Hickory - or any wood/charcoal/gas back up machine, you'll get your life back.

In regards to the silly (IMHO) comment someone made about being an oven ---- it is all an oven. If you are using wood, it will give it a nice wood flavor. But moisture is the key - and having a life. For me the OHP is the only way to roll. and we cater a bunch - can't do it with a stick burner - and not burn you out. :-)
KentuckyLandSales is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

We use a Guru controlled gravity feed and a Lang 84. They both do a great job but it depends on how you like to cook. In the winter here in South Dakota, I like to cook on the gravity feed cooker for obvious reasons. If the weather is nice I really like drinking beer with the Lang!
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I owned the CTO, it's a great rib cooker, make a bigger charcaol basket and just keep on a rolling by throwing more charcaol in, steady temps for me. I hated the fan blade since it creasotes up. I f you run on gas cant get any easier.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Badgeman
On the road to being a farker

I learned on an offset then bought to a CTO. It took me awhile to get used to the change, and for a bit I even regretted buying it. Now that I've got it figured out, I love the CTO and am convinced I can do anything with it. Still, when ribs are on the menu, they go on the offset.
Badgeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
KentuckyLandSales
Knows what a fatty is.

KentuckyLandSales is offline   Reply With Quote