Sunday Smoke 4/6/08

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Hi folks...I'm trying out my new Big Green Drum (WSM clone) and thought I'd do a brisket. Dusted up a 4 lb flat with Spicewine's "Heffer Dust"...fired up the drum with 12 lbs of Rancher and 3 chunks of Swamprb's oak wine barrel wood. Smoked for 3 hours @ 200-225 then foiled and put back on the drum for another 1 1/2 hours. After an hour and a half I checked the temp...192-195...perfect! :p Threw it in the cooler to rest while my wife worked on the side dish...cauliflower gratin. :p Here are a few pics...

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

Click for video...sound for yappin'...

Money shots to follow...

Brisket looks great! More details on the gratin?

And the money shots...the brisket turned out fork tender and juicy...but I wasn't too happy with the flavor or the bark. Next time I don't think I'll foil it prior to coolering.:idea: The gratin, however, is another story...it was awesome! :p

IMG_4003.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

If you want bark on the drum don't foil the brisket. Let it go nekkid!

My sediments eggxactly! That doesn't look like bark! Gotta let it crust up and get bark like. I did 80# of tritip this weekend and nothing got wrapped till it hit the cooler prior to slicing. Had 150 happy brothers that rave every year I do this for them. The really enjoy the bark on sourdough rolls dipped in the juice Sorry for the lack of pron from that affair!!

My sediments eggxactly! That doesn't look like bark! Gotta let it crust up and get bark like. I did 80# of tritip this weekend and nothing got wrapped till it hit the cooler prior to slicing. Had 150 happy brothers that rave every year I do this for them. The really enjoy the bark on sourdough rolls dipped in the juice Sorry for the lack of pron from that affair!!

Those are my thoughts as well...I was trying out a new technique for small flats...I didn't like it much! :biggrin:

Those are my thoughts as well...I was trying out a new technique for small flats...I didn't like it much! :biggrin:

That shows that you are adventurous and willing to try anything for the sake of a better product. Good brain!

Back