Lot-O-Wokking, Char Sui Pork & Bulgogi Tri Tip

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
DSC00131a.jpg

I sort of went with an asian flair with a few favorites cooked on the Egg. The wok meal had about everything in it, the meat was marinated chicken thighs. The char sui was strips of pork shoulder, (yes it stayed that candy apple red for the whole cook) and the Korean bulgogi was strips of tri-tip marinated for 24 hours.

DSC00122a.jpg

DSC00130a-1.jpg

DSC00119a.jpg

DSC00168a.jpg

DSC00173a.jpg

DSC00174a.jpg

DSC00180a.jpg

DSC00185a.jpg

Man that looks good, I want the recipe please. I spent a year in S. Korea and been missing good bulgogi ever since i left over a decade ago. Here is my skillets/woks that I make. Wanting to make some good bulgogi is what inspired me to build them. I have sold plenty of them but have yet to cook bulgogi on one of them.

Attachments

• SANY0298.jpg
    SANY0298.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 116
  • SANY0300.jpg
    SANY0300.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 114
  • SANY0301.jpg
    SANY0301.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 115
I have cooked a lot on them, just not the bulgogi. Bulgogi is the food that was the inspiration behind it. It works awesome for Fajitas and breakfast burritos.

Yum! What is in the char sui that makes it so red??

A couple of drops of red food coloring. There is hoisin and honey in there, so it's pretty sweet. It cooks over medium high heat, and you have to watch it... It's supposed to be tender, fragrant and sticky all at the same time.

DSC02381a.jpg

Man that looks good, I want the recipe please. I spent a year in S. Korea and been missing good bulgogi ever since i left over a decade ago. Here is my skillets/woks that I make. Wanting to make some good bulgogi is what inspired me to build them. I have sold plenty of them but have yet to cook bulgogi on one of them.

Your cooker looks similar to a discada, popular in Mexico and throughout the Southwest. They are made from individual discs from a disc harrow... kind of a finishing plow. I guess the need is the same, low fuel consumption, gentle slope for different cooking zones etc. BobBrisket has one.

DSC08063a.jpg

The traditional bulgogi meats are thin strips or ribs from the chuck end that don't have a lot of meat on them. However with enough time in the marinade, short ribs or thicker strips of meat work good. There are a million varieties. One of my friends wife is Korean and she just calls her concoction Stinky Steak. She adds more garlic and sesame oil to hers, then stir fries it. Anyway here is the one I use.​

The Marinade
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup water
4 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
2 teaspoons finely minced garlic (more if you love garlic)
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp sugar
1 teaspoon dark (Asian) sesame seed oil
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp toasted, crushed sesame seeds

Thanks, if weather holds out I am going to try it for dinner tonight!

Nice work Thirdeye, great looking grub. I like the char siu and bulgogi. I leave out the red food coloring myself, I grew up with char siu that was not electric red, and prefer the old browner style. But, I bet your tastes great.

I consider this here thread saved boys..I love the Char Sui, and also the Bulgogi.... My wife and I eat Asian Cuisine on a regular bases, and also Que' of course.. Thanks for posting this thread Thirdeye

Back