Pastrami

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Dug out a corned beef brisket from the freezer (probably been in there since after last year's St Patrick's Day) and decided to turn it into Pastrami.

Not my best effort, but it turned out tasting good, so that's all that matters.

Trimmed up the silverskin and the fat cap to a reasonable thickness -

x3P97yT.jpg

Seasoned with my pastrami rub -

7d8UYKg.jpg

Out onto the Goldens' indirect. Since this wasn't all that large, it was done in about 2 hours, temping around 205F -

Vfc3HXT.jpg

It shrunk quite a bit (and wasn't even near cold water :biggrin1: ). The smallest pastrami I've ever made. I had another one in the freezer and should have smoked both of them -

Ue6BU1E.jpg

Difficult getting thin slices as it wasn't as tender as I would have liked -

bTvhIK0.jpg

But it was still tasty and made two sandwiches. No leftovers for the week :cry: -

R5Yq2QG.jpg

As I said, not my best effort at pastrami due to the tenderness, but not a waste of time either.

Regards,
-lunchman

Looks good to me Dom. I use Thirdeye's method. He has several on his Blog. When my pastrami reaches 165-180 I put in in an aluminum pan on raised foil balls. Add a can of beer, cover with foil then steam till probe tender

Awesome cook, Dom! :thumb:

I have a brisket queued up for pastrami as soon as it gets warmer.

the cryopack corned beefs I usually do a few water soaks to draw some of the salt out the day before, but that's just me... they turn out good tho... a friend calls it Fauxstrami, dont care, it's yummy

Back