Meat Slicer and Grinder

Bill-Chicago

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I just got a meat slicer and grinder dropped off at my house by a friend of mine.

I'll try and post pics so I can figure out what the hell I just got.

Excellent!

Sounds like you are in for some winter fun.

I cooked a boneless eye roast (I think) last night that would have made great sliced roast beef sandwichs that someone mentioned here recently.

willkat98 said:
I cooked a boneless eye roast (I think) last night that would have made great sliced roast beef sandwichs that someone mentioned here recently.

That would be me, don't forget to put in fridge for at least several hours before slicing so you can cut it up real thin and preserve the juices. I smoked a turkey breast, half a ham, and 3.5 boneless eye round. Next day sliced everything up into super thin deli slices and food saved in small bags (about a 1lb). It created 13 bags of meat, enough sandwhich meat for a few months, all for $27 + foodsaver bags. The slicer paid for itself after first use. Plus, it gives me another gadget in the kitchen :p

I'd love to get my hands on a commercial grinder for making larger quantities of homemade sausage.

Bill, got any pics yet?

BigBelly said:
I'd love to get my hands on a commercial grinder for making larger quantities of homemade sausage.

Bill, got any pics yet?

Ment to last night, but it was pick up the farking van at the shop, put the new dinette table together, blah blah

Hopefully tonight.

And it ain;t no commercial quality, thats for sure.

Heres what I got.

Oster Meat Grinder,

and an electric meat slicer

What the fark is this vac-u-dealie in pic 3?

What the fark is this vac-u-dealie in pic 3?

That question is an invitation for this thread to go off-topic :wink: Actually - the vacu dealy is used to affix the unit to the countertop. I've seen a few of these things - don't work worth crap givn the amount of pressure you might exert on the equipment.

Have one of those slicers. Only use it when I have lots and lots of beef to slice 'cause its a bich to clean. Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

I cannot foresee that lil cup holding that unit once you get one of our fat arses behind it slicing away like a madman!

Looks great Bill!

Coming Soon-Bill Brats! Afterall, sausages were invented in Illinois. :lol:

Neil said:
Have one of those slicers. Only use it when I have lots and lots of beef to slice 'cause its a bich to clean. Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

I hear you on that.

Upon close inspection, I said, Damn this thing needs a good cleaning.

Might be nice to slice up beef, like you and Stu mentioned.

What about the meat grinder? Anyone see/own one of these? Is it a piece o crap? I have a KitchenAid, but not the grinder attachment. Anyone rate one versus the other?

willkat98 said:
Neil said:

I hear you on that.

Upon close inspection, I said, Damn this thing needs a good cleaning.

Might be nice to slice up beef, like you and Stu mentioned.

What about the meat grinder? Anyone see/own one of these? Is it a piece o crap? I have a KitchenAid, but not the grinder attachment. Anyone rate one versus the other?

Yeah Bill:

I've got an Oster electric meat grinder. It does okay. You'll probably need to sharpen the 4-pointed cutting blade. Get yourself a nice flat stone or else a sheet of black wet/dry sanding paper, wet it and sharpen by moving the blade around in light circular motions. It wouldn't hurt doing the same to the plate with all the holes in it.

When you go to grind, prepare the meat by dicing into small cubes. Nearly frozen helps too. That will minimize the clogging that happens when sinew and tendons get caught between the blade and the plate. And keep it tight.

You might want to go to ebay and get a sausage stuffer like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25372&item=3851634298&rd=1

You also need to buy a pack of natural hog casings

Any more questions, I'm here for ya Bro.

Get the sausage stuffer attachment for your kitchenaid.

Bill, you'll want to have a large pair of pliers available too. The ring that holds the auger/blade assembly together can get quite tight after grinding a batch of meat.

I was thinking of starting off grinding smoky links and hominy together

Bill there are stuffing tubes for the Oster unit also, The KitchenAid stuffing option is not a lot of money.

Back