MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #91
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Even though you are an ignorant farker, you are still one of my favorite people.
I can feel the love from here. Wanna get together and have a NOT BBQ where we cook things on smokers and grills over real flame and don't include pork. By the way, MOINK must not be BBQ, because even though it has bacon (pork, last time I checked, but I am an ignorant farker) there are those beef meatball things in there too...
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 01:56 AM   #92
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

I believe MOINK Balls would be considered "new fangled"!

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #93
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Chit, I just realized that I am going to have to change my site name to No Excuses BBQ and Mostly Other Stuff now...
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]

Old 08-02-2009, 04:40 AM   #94
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

I was responding to one person in particular who was antagonistic to me. I responded in kind with what was said to me. This was not aimed at any of you other guys.

No reason to change the name of anything. As long as you say "Here ya go sir here is your BBQed chicken/beef/goat/iguana/alligator...", you'll be all right. When ya hand 'em pulled pork ya can just say, "Here's your BBQ."

That is, as long as it's cooked over a bed of live coals, at a sustained temperature not more than 25-30 degrees than what you intend the final temperature of the meat to be. Served with sauce on the side.

See we haven't even gotten to argue about that one yet! The actual act. You guys are still hung up on it being pork. Lol I gotta big smile on my face, hope you guys do to. And by the way, Funky friend, Ponce de Leon didn't carry cattle until the second trip. Some 6 or seven years later.

I just got up to check on the butt I'm BBQing in the oven, studded with jalapenos, rubbed with salt, injected with worcestshire sauce and apple juice, wrapped in bacon, wrapped in foil.

JK it's just lightly rubbed and on the UDS. Gotta get some more ZZzzzzzzzzsssssss. It will come off about 9 - 10.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #95
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Insomnia sucks...

Old 08-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #96
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

but if ya say bbq'd iguana the kids won't eat it....

Old 08-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #97
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_n_cues View Post
but if ya say bbq'd iguana the kids won't eat it....
Best post of this entire thread. Thanks, I needed that

Old 08-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #98
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

You guy's should take a break and go "COOK" something.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #99
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post

Like I've said. lots of people call their SUV a truck, but that don't make it a truck.
Sir! I must correct you because I cannot stand idly by while this travesty of truth is distorted! According to the "Cash For Clunkers" law, all SUV's are considered Category 1 trucks. I refer you to the following excerpts from the final ruling:

"Category 1 truck means a non-passenger automobile, as defined in section 49 U.S.C. 32901(a)(17) and 49 CFR 523.3, except that such term does not include a category 2 truck."

"A “category 1 truck” is a non-passenger automobile. This category includes sport
utility vehicles (SUVs), medium-duty passenger vehicles,7 small and medium pickup
trucks, minivans, and small and medium passenger and cargo vans. It does not include

vehicles that are defined as category 2 trucks.8"

in light of these recent developments, your entire argument is null and void. good day, sir.

i said good day!

Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #100
Rib Fan
On the road to being a farker

Wow.....just remember, even if you win a p*ssing match, you still come out smelling like p*ss.
Rib Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #101
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Fan View Post
Wow.....just remember, even if you win a p*ssing match, you still come out smelling like p*ss.
who are you referring to?

Old 08-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #102
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

first, prior to my following soapbox.. i want to point something out.. This aint news folks. we have heard the "BBQ is Pork" theory many times. Its filed right next to BBQ is Brisket, BBQ is a party in the yard, and frito pie comes from Illinois. These guys said it best.
And should put this thread in perspective.

now for my soapbox.. (because i can)

Im looking at this thread thru 2 different pairs of eyes of The BBQ Brethren.

1 - A BBQ enthusiast who has been living, following and learning the craft of "BBQ Cooking' for 25 years now. Any by the craft, i mean not only the cooking, but the history.

2 - A member of The Brethren. And we all know that in this group, there is NO ONE WAY. We also know that BBQ is a GLOBALLY REGIONAL thing and in our journey to achieve BBQ nirvana, we will learn the variations and master as many as possible. Our pits are open, as is our minds. There is no one way, from the steel to the meat. We want to learn them all.

As the enthusiast, I see in this thread, the typical age old debate of the History of BBQ. I have seen it dozens and dozens of times from books, to discovery channel, to to the food network, to internet, to the backyards of folks across the country.

Everyone from the individual regions has there own interpretation and some feel a little stronger than the others. What I also see typical here is that 2 regions have the most steadfast (self proclaimed) factual(opinions) of what is BBQ. Texas and Carolina. In fact, just this past Friday, on Man v. Food that referenced the very topic of this thread. One segment was from a NC BBQ Joint in Carolina, BBQ IS PORK and nothing else, and sauce is vinegar

The pitmaster(of 40 years)in this place cooked 2 120 lb hogs every night to serve to his packed restaurant. The patrons there all agreed that if its BBQ, its pork and nothing else, yet he did serve 'other meats'. So alas... this must be true.. ok in that region. They also said that the ONLY sauce is a vinegar based. (but what happened to the other guy who said its mustard based last week?).. yeah well.. whatever.

Wander around the south and you will see that in some places its "pork", others its ribs, some want vinegar, others want mustard. Hugh, is presenting his regional rendition of the Carolinas. Yes Hugh, its the one you accept. Its up to the reader to decide if it is factual with no other options, or just another version form one of the may history books. The Kansas crowd I'm sure has a different version, and me being from NY, where BBQ has no steadfast roots, we accept it all as theory.

Now set aside the passion and emotion that some feel makes the presented facts truth and absorb it as additional facts to add to your archives of global BBQ history. File it alongside our Funky(barbefunkomamawtf) ones verison that "if it aint stickburner brisket it aint right and all BBQ came from Texas."

Difference is that over time, we have come to know Donny and his tongue in cheek presentations and many have learned to accept them for what they are, The funky ones representations are somewhat legendary here. These 'outside of the box presentations have helped many members and confused many others. We all know now its is up to the reader to decide whats right for them, what is trash talk and what is success. This thread was another attempt to go outside of the box.

Now, from the eyes of A Brethren. I hear whatever is said. I absorb, I learn, I experiment, and I decide which works for me. Is any one way wrong? Nope. Its just another way. I have enough experience to know that whatever ponce de leon did with a buffalo on his way to new jersey is just another piece of the history book written by someone who was in that particular spot at that point, and another piece of history was being written simultaneously on the other side of the world where someone was cooking a pig on a spit over a hole in the ground in Bora Bora. Fact v. theory v. hypothesis. A fact is a concept or action whose truth can be proven. There are NO FACTS regarding the origin of BBQ, just theory. No one knows who cooked the first 'thing' over the first hole in the ground. What we have is theory. Learn, and respect them all.

In this small piece of the internet, BBQ is gramatically correct in any form. We accept it for what it is in the company we are keeping and dont insist on correcting anyone. Its the way to learn and to expand the knowledge to make the true pitmaster. Take that pitmaster who has been cooking whole hogs for 40 years in a barrel. Put him at a KC rib joint or a texas brisket shack and let him show me his stuff. If his minds been open, he will produce BBQ nirvana, but then again, he may refuse to cook them ribs or those briskets or yardbird becase its not BBQ and we will all go hungry. But if he has our pig on his tee shirt, we're all gonna eat!

That being said, this thread is back to discuss the regional differences of BBQ, in all forms. What I ask is that it is taken in the spirit of this forum. You want to contribute, remember one thing.

There is NO ONE WAY.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #103
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

And now we know why BBQChef33 IS the Grand PooBah. Now back to your regularly scheduled Sunday call-it-whatever-you-want-as-long-as-you-are-cooking program...

Do I smell some ribs boiling?

Old 08-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #104
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Permission to say "get bent?" Would that be a wrong thing to say now?

I like how his whole logical argument is predicated on BBQ being a verb... but he couples it with a specific NOUN (pork) as in BBQ is only the act of cooking pork over a fire etc..

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 08-02-2009 at 05:53 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #105
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
LMAO.....That video is farkin funny!