MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #31
GL-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

looks dang ol' tasty, man.
GL-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
The hardest part about tortas is the bread!! Where'd you get yours? What market is the meat from too? Mom and pop stores always seem to have good marinades
You're right about the bread. Ive tried all sorts of torta bread and by far this is the best. The funny thing is I stumbled across it down the street from my house in a small mom and pop store. Its brought in fresh every morning from a small French bakery IIRC and goes fast at 1.89 for four in La Crescenta/Glendale foothills area. area. The meat is from a market called El Mexicano Market/Tortilleria at 61st and Avalon in south L.A. They hand make their tortillas hence the name obviously. Whereabouts r u?
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

Great looking food. Many meat markets make their own tortillas, most of them superior to the ones in stores (Guerrero, Mission, etc). Good teleras are harder to find but that bread looks amazing.
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #34
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyo626 View Post
Great looking food. Many meat markets make their own tortillas, most of them superior to the ones in stores (Guerrero, Mission, etc). Good teleras are harder to find but that bread looks amazing.
Thanks. Anytime I want fresh hand made tortillas I call a Mexican farm market about 5 mins from me and place an order. It's usually ready in about 20 mins or so. I also usually stock up with all kinds of fresh made from scratch salsas, guac, cheese, etc. and meat from them as well when I don't feel like making it myself. Store bought ones cant even come close and best of all no preservatives or anything artificial in them. I try all the little stores and carnecerias across greater L.A. Always on the hunt for the best I can get.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 07-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
You're right about the bread. Ive tried all sorts of torta bread and by far this is the best. The funny thing is I stumbled across it down the street from my house in a small mom and pop store. Its brought in fresh every morning from a small French bakery IIRC and goes fast at 1.89 for four in La Crescenta/Glendale foothills area. area. The meat is from a market called El Mexicano Market/Tortilleria at 61st and Avalon in south L.A. They hand make their tortillas hence the name obviously. Whereabouts r u?
I'm in Midcity LA (in between Culver City and Koreatown)
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #36
ssv3

Quote:
I'm in Midcity LA (in between Culver City and Koreatown)
Cool! Obviously lots of options for you where you're at as well. Don't think you wanna drive all the way up just for the bread though. I'm constantly all over L.A. so it works out for me.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #37
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

If you're ever in this area, try the meat at Ranch Market on the corner of S Redondo Blvd and Adams. Their Cornish hens are really good along with their beef and chipotle and habañero chicken!
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #38
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
First off, great cook, through and through! I'll have to try the grilled serranos next time.

You answered my question already about where you bight the tortillas and meats.

Have you ever considered making your own tortillas and just buying fresh masa? They're even better than the store bought homemade ones, and not at all difficult to do.

You might enjoy a couple of taco threads I posted a while back with homemade tortillas:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=111599

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=119728

Keep those great posts of yours coming!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #39
ssv3

Quote:
If you're ever in this area, try the meat at Ranch Market on the corner of S Redondo Blvd and Adams. Their Cornish hens are really good along with their beef and chipotle and habañero chicken!
Thanks for the info. I actually happen to love Cornish hens. I actually prefer it more than chicken. I should be around there this weekend and will make sure to stop in. Chicken sounds awesome too.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #40
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

I'll take a couple plates please.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #41
ssv3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
First off, great cook, through and through! I'll have to try the grilled serranos next time.

You answered my question already about where you bight the tortillas and meats.

Have you ever considered making your own tortillas and just buying fresh masa? They're even better than the store bought homemade ones, and not at all difficult to do.

You might enjoy a couple of taco threads I posted a while back with homemade tortillas:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=111599

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=119728

Keep those great posts of yours coming!
Thanks a lot Moose. I must say ur tacos and cooks are bomb. Im def going to try to do my own tortillas. I like doing everything from scratch when I have time on my side from pizza dough, Neapolitan pizza dough with type 00 flour, grind my own meat, make my own sausage, bacon etc. I gotta say this site and you guys have opened up a whole new world for me.
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Pit Barrer Junior

Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #42
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Thanks a lot Moose. I must say ur tacos and cooks are bomb. Im def going to try to do my own tortillas. I like doing everything from scratch when I have time on my side from pizza dough, Neapolitan pizza dough with type 00 flour, grind my own meat, make my own sausage, bacon etc. I gotta say this site and you guys have opened up a whole new world for me.
From my personal experience, you'll have better luck using white masa vs yellow masa for tacos. The yellow tends to be on the drier side. There's some good videos on YT that show how easy it is to press tortillas.

Hope you'll join us at the SoCal bash in September:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=160982
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #43
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Feed me Seymour!!!!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #44
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Good grub there bro... Nice documentation as well. :)