MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
kingsnob
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Pork Cushion

Well the home brew club is having a campout this weekend I was out looking for large chunks of meat to smoke. I stopped In at the Local GFS and they had a piece of pork labeled “ Pork Cushion, Boneless”!
It’s about an inch to two inches thicker in Diameter that a Loin, about a foot shorter and a lot fattier. It was $1.56 a pound versus 2.20 about for the loin.
Anyone ever hear of this, or smoked one?
John

350 Gallon Converted Fuel Oil tank Pig Roaster
UDS
Kenmore 5 Burner Gasser
18" Weber Charcoal Grill.
kingsnob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I had to Google, to make sure I was rememebering this right. I used to get something called pork cushion from a whole animal shop. It is the upper part of the shoulder, as I was told, boneless shoulder essentially.

I smoked it, the ones I bought were sectioned into 1 pound nuggets, made for a nice chunk of pork.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

The "cushion" comes from the Pork Shoulder Picnic (or Arm), The picnic shoulder is more economical than the Boston Butt, but also contains more fat than the blade shoulder. When the bone and fat is trimmed from this
cut it results in a very rich flavored roast. The meat from this cut is excellent for making juicy barbecued pulled pork. The Picnic has a large bone and joint that runs through the middle of the roast, one side has a
large lean muscle...that is the "cushion". You can also slice and pound them for pork cutlets, stew meat, etc and use them in any chicken recipe

Tags
Cushion, meat, pork