Poll: Ribs - Which way in the smoker?

Which way for your ribs?

• Total voters
I always use the rib racks. Get more meat in such a little space

really depends on the cooker.

Kettle - use racks
WSM - rollem
Phil's BYC - Flat

In my WSM, I prefer flat. In the cookshack, I actually prefer hangin them.

Rolled, upright, held together with skewers.

No poll option for that.

i tried that rolled way with some babybacks a while back. it worked pretty good for the cook time but i had to cut them up for foiling and mopping.
phil

I really do think it depends on what type of cooker you are using. With my vertical, I usually have room to do them flat, meat side up. Ditto when we are cooking for lots of people on the big log burner. I will use rib racks when necessary, used to do it all the time with a horizontal offset. I just prefer flat. I think partly because I like to play with my meat, and it is easier when it is not in a rack.[go ahead, make something out of that remark:oops: ]

I have used all the above methods and cannot tell much difference. The same goes for the membrane on or off arguement. Good meat that is well cooked usually turns out fine no matter how it is situated in the smoker. However, if you want consistant results then you need to develop a consistant process.

I do mine flat with the meat side up.

Paul Kirk writes about rolling them and and cooking them upright. Have any of you guys tried this besides racer81?

I want to vote... where's the "in the stockpot on the stove" option.

qman said:
because I like to play with my meat, and it is easier when it is not in a rack.[go ahead, make something out of that remark:oops: ]

Depends on who's rack it is!

My main reason for asking the question was to see if anyone thinks there's a big difference in the rack of ribs from one way to the next. Mine I've always done vertical in a rib rack but I got to wondering if that had any correlation to the meat falling off the bone or developing more shiners. Any chance there is a basting issue like we've discussed with brisket and pork butt? If they're cooked flat with bone/membrane side down, does the rendering fat remain on the rib slab longer, thus basting it better and making it more moist? I'm thinking since I'm only doing three slabs this afternoon that I'll try them flat for the first time in the BSKD and see what happens.

Also, to combat the "falling off the bone" issue, I've gone down to a 2.5-2-1 and also 2-2-1 rather than 3-2-1. If that still isn't working, what would be the next step and still get the meat done? I'm thinking less time in the foil before coolering. Maybe a 2.5-1.5-1 (steaming in the foil too long making it too tender)? Or am I looking at negligible differences?

I do my BB 3-1-1 @ 180/200 and they are just right,if temps get 200/225 there falling off the bone.

Space dictates the use of a rib rack or not, it's effect on the finish product doesn't make much difference as long as when using a rack you keep the ribs from touching which effects the color.

If your using 3-2-1 method, forget about the time, smoke the ribs till they get to the color you want normally about 3 hours depending on the pit temp.
I find I won't have have the ribs in foil for more than 45 min to an hour. Any longer than that they start to get mushy, again pit temp is the key.

I do mine vertical, but Que joints that I have been too and had a chance to see inside the pit all do them flat meat up. Of course this could just be because they have the room.

Doesn't make a difference to me because I like to rotate my meat. Gotta smack it up,flip it and rub it down.

(That was a BBD reference for those who are hip-hoptically challenged.)

Bigmista said:
Doesn't make a difference to me because I like to rotate my meat. Gotta smack it up,flip it and rub it down.

(That was a BBD reference for those who are hip-hoptically challenged.)

OK... I'm definately hip-hoptically challenged... Who (or what) is BBD?

Tragically not hip-hop aware... :roll:

Back