flank steak...marinade?

R

redbandit98

well, Im always too cheap to buy it, but I finally bit the bullet. I bought a small flank steak the other day to make some fajita meat out of. I was tyring to decide whether to marinade it or just season it or what? Any suggestions? I was gonna just try to cook it up with some peppers and onions in a skillet but I think this is gonna have to go outside on the weber. Any suggestions?

Salt, Pepper, lime juice....a VERY HOT grill...sear a couple of minutes each side....Done! I ususally prep a hot cast iron skillet in the oven @ 550 degrees and have set aside some sliced veggies sauteed in olive oil. Add the meat and some H20 to the veggies and throw into the hot cast iron skillet and dramatically haul the hot steaming sizzling skillet to the table and yell, "WATCH OUT!!!" Then stand back and beam with pride as everyone ooohs and ahhhhs!

I've had pretty good luck with this one.

(For a 2-3 lbs. flank steak)

2 cloves fresh garlic
2 tsp. fresh ginger
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup white wine
3/4 cup soy sauce
salt & pepper to taste

Rub the steak with the garlic, then combine all ingredients (garlic included) and marinade the steaks for roughly 4 hours. Toss it on the grill, heat to desired doneness, and slice about a 1/4 inch thick, across the grain, on an angle, so you get some nice sized strips.

Here's what my dad and I do, very simple and ALWAYS a hit. Great flavor profile, even if it doesn't sound authentic.

5 parts soy sauce
1 part pineapple juice
1 part red wine

I usually measure using cups, but it really depends on how much you're cooking. Let meat sit in the marinade for no longer than a minute or two and sear on a very hot grill until medium rare, slice and serve.

Here is what I use for fajitas. It has the authentic taste I like:
2 cloves minced garlic
Tbsp minced jalapeno
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ancho chili pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
juice from 3 limes
1 tsp white sugar
2-3 Tbsp EVOO

whisk it up well and marinate for a few hours.

Back