MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Default Chicken Thread! Perfecting Backyard Chicken!

We all love chicken so I thought it would be fun to post your chicken cooks and let everyone know what you'r doing to make great chicken.

Now, Im not trying to get the competition guys to give out their secrets, just trying to perfect the everyday backyard cook for that weeknight BBQ Guy that loves to cook chicken for His Family or football party, etc.

Now, I have been cooking my chicken reverse sear on the weber kettle and it comes out good, BUT, my wife keeps complaining about the rubbery skin.

So, It has been my quest since I went to the BBQ Brethren Bash in So Cal and saw what Moose was doing to His chicken. "Open Pit Santa Maria Style Chicken". Now, I have cooked this way before but have never got the distance from the chicken and the fire before the last couple of weeks.

Heres the cook I did last night.

I went back to my fire pit. This is what I used when I first started using charcoal but I would put a weber grill in it and a weber lid on top giving me the same result in chicken, "rubbery skin". As you can see I have a grate on top now to give myself more distance between the fire and the chicken and I have dumped the lid to give it that open pit style cook.

I used one chimney of KB Blue and a couple fist sized chunks of oak.
I rubbed the chicken down with Big Mista's Chicken Scratch and put it over the fire, cooking it to 165 temp, (checking with my thermapen). So far this has worked out well. Im getting much better results in the flavor of the chicken and crispier skin. I think I will add just a bit more fuel to the fire next time.

Please show off your chicken ideas here!

Thanks!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well you got the right idea..right over some live hot coals! I do about a bird a week but it usually involves spatchcock @ 350 or pieces i do some indirect high heat and finish with a sear over the coals. No matter what the juices are dripping in the coals at some point if not through the whole cook. Today is some boneless thighs teriyaki style. I'll post those pics after the cook.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Ray, chicken looks great! When can we come over?

I think the key to crispy chicken skin is cooking on an open pit, and also using a Roadside mop sauce. The oil in the mop sauce really helps render the chicken fat as it pulls more heat towards the meat. I posted a tutorial and recipe for the mop sauce HERE, the same stuff I used at the bash, BTW.

Another thing that helps with crispy chicken in addition to an open pit, is a good distance from the grate to the coals. Santa Maria pits are ideal, although I get equally good results with my UDS with the firebasket elevated, although if you do this, you do have to put the lid back on after you mop every few mins or you'll have Hindenberg Chicken in no time!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

I use my Stumps baby for drumettes all the time and hit them at 325 for about an hour. Crispy skin and delicious.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I did these a couple days ago.

Typical roadside chicken prep. I did substitute the juice from a couple limes for some vinegar and added some powdered ancho and cayenne. Cooked about 325°F for 2:25. They were 7 lb birds. The skin was not crispy but was very tasty. I suppose I would need to increase the heat near the end to get crispy. I like the way the rotisserie does them all the way around. I added some mesquite to the fire when I put them on as well. These only marinated for two hours and longer would probably be better.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Ray that looks incredible......On my over with the HDD Mary's......
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

My chicken (and Turkey) changed forever when I went to a brine and higher heat (Mid to Upper 300s).
No pics, but I have never looked back!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

I like to dry brine chicken. Kosher salt between the skin and meat. Use a spoon to loosen it up and spread inside. Then dry the skin with paper towels and let it sit in the fridge uncovered for 4-6 hours or so.
Very tasty chicken - nice crispy skin.
I used to do the water brine and you can't get away from the rubbery skin..
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Fwismoker

It's in another thread but here's my chicken today. More of an open pit style but was cooked indirect with the lid closed. Teriyaki so i went low on the charcoal basket and used the BP smoker as a grill.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
Bludawg

I brine all my chicken whole birds get spatchcocked and cooked skin side down or indirect on the Weber at 3XX+

1/2 a bird cut up

Old 10-27-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

I see allot of you brine your chicken. Ive never done that before. Looks like something I will need to try!

Blackstone griddle.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #12
cliffcarter
is one Smokin' Farker

I cook chicken in a few different ways, but most often I go either indirect the whole time on the kettle or direct to sear and then indirect to finish, also on the kettle. No rub when I cook chicken BTW.
The first 2 pics are skin on breasts done indirect the whole time, using maple for smoke, the maple gives them the golden brown color-

These are boneless, skinless breasts. I sear one side, turn and sear the other and apply a squirt of sauce to the first side(about a TBS). After searing side 2 I move them away from the coals, turn them over, sauce side 2 and cook indirect until done, saucing and turning once or twice more.

With both of these methods I pay close attention to IT because it is very easy to overcook and get dried chicken jerky.
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Ray, chicken looks great! When can we come over?
I hope we can get together soon! It's going to be awhile for my home. My backyard is so tore up I'm running around with my cookers looking for a safe place to cook. I hope to have everything back in place by next spring.

Blackstone griddle.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

I like a spatchcock because I can eat the whole darn bird!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spatchcock.jpg (53.2 KB, 192 views)
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

I've been hooked on roadside chicken for a few months. If anyone hasen't tried it I,d suggest you do. Great flavor! Before that I was a beer can chicken guy every thursday for years. Just dust with Tony Catchery's and let it roll till 160. This is still my favorite for crunchy skin.
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote