MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 AM   #31
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onexchef View Post
This is a very inexpensive option.

Lowes has them for $59.00
I concur. This is how I started and I'm a grandpa too. Lots of good suggestions here though. Another option is to watch Craig's List and pick one up that way.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #32
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

This little smoke hollow is the first smoker I had. It is good to learn some basics on. It is cheap and works pretty well. If he enjoys it, he can step up to a bigger and better smoker down the road.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...D=GSHOP_401740

Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

or build one together. That would be cool experience.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #34
aawa
Babbling Farker

If he is cooking for a small amount of people (2-4 people) Make a mini WSM (you can find detailed builds by googling it). You get quality time with gpop doing an easy build (takes less than 90mins to make it, including painting it) And it is super efficient (with a load of royal oak lump charcoal I can get 6+ hours, with a load of wicked good lump charcoal I can go 9+ hours)

If you don't want to build it, a 18in weber smokey mountain for $300. It is a little bit more expensive than the entry level smokers, however it is also ready to go right out of the box. It requires no mods to cook well, and it is very simple to learn how to use it.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #35
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

I started out on a cheap $50 brinkman charcoal smoker from Lowes. I learned from that smoker that I loved smoking and I needed a bigger one.

Everyone has their own opinion, but if I had it to do over again I would.
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #36
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
UDS - and to make the experience better, build it together.
^^^this^^^

Old 04-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
SweetBlue
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey guys - I can't thank you enough for all the suggestions! Lots of great info here. I'm going to do some research, look into the WSM/UDS and hopefully have something narrowed down by this evening. As far as what he'll be cooking up, it will be pretty standard - brisket, pork butt, chicken, etc. I do imagine he'll end up getting more adventurous. As we all can attest to, rarely does it stop at those 3 cooks :) .
SweetBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #38
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

lots of great information here so far covering the full range of options.

i'd go with one of the lesser price models of ceramic type smokers since you have that kind and will likely be his goto for advice.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #39
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

For a family get together with pops, I'd also think about a mini WSM. Smokey joe ($30), 32 quart tamale pot ($20), Tuna can ($2.00), cooking grate and charcoal grate ($20). Stainless hardware? B ess.. Grab the cheapest hw you can find and give them a vinegar soak. All zinc coating will be gone in a flash (or slightly slower).

Very easy to learn how to use while being efficient on the fuel usage. You can even cook a whole packer brisket on a mini, fold it over.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote