MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Default Question for the California Brethren out there...

Hey, y'all. A friend of mine is considering taking a BBQ class taught by Jim Modesitt of "Big Jim's BBQ" in San Raphael. He asked me if I'd ever herad of him before and whether or not I thought it would be worth the $175 for a five hour class by the guy. I'm a Midwestern boy and have never heard of Big Jim before, so I'm reaching out to the Brethern to see what I can find out. What's this guy's reputation? Anyone help me out? Thanks.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Never heard of Big Jim myself. I compete regularly on the CA circuit.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have no idea of that name either. Let me do a little looking.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
landarc

Apparently he has won at least one IBCA rib cook, he seems to be a good promoter of himself and he has a book out. It could be interesting.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

IBCA is dead in CA.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
landarc

He won in 2010 at the San Francisco West Coast Country Music Festival

The more I look at the guys website, the more I think he is a caterer and chef, who is selling BBQ as his niche. A lot of what he is doing is clearly catering to a California party/festival clientele. There is nothing wrong with that, but, there are some really good classes that come through here, maybe for more money, but, with competitors that are known quantities.

Last year, Darry at Eggs by the Bay hosted a class by Rhythm and Que, Slap yo' Daddy did classes in both ends of California. There are many others. Even the CBBQA offers an excellent course on competition BBQ.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Your friend would do very well taking David Bouska's Butchers BBQ Tell All class, in So Cal coming up, Dec 28, 29th

www.TooAshamedToName.com - Competition BBQ Team
shares is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shares View Post
Your friend would do very well taking David Bouska's Butchers BBQ Tell All class, in So Cal coming up, Dec 28, 29th
I agree.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

He competed in Oakland last year when it was an IBCA comp: http://www.cbbqa.org/wiki/index.php?...onship#Overall

19th out of 25 overall.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Where does your buddy live?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
sfbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow, this is sort-of wierd...I was meeting my BIL for a beer at the Marin Rod & Gun Club in San Rafael last Sunday and Big Jim was conducting his class in the main room of the club. I originally thought "Man, how'd I miss this event?" I thought it was a club funtion but I guess he rents out the space from the club.
Nothing against Big Jim but $175 seems a bit steep to me.
Also seems like BBQ just takes some time to learn. There are so many differnt cookers, meats, processes you just have to join the Brethren and start cooking. Use your $175 to build a UDS and go.

That being said... SHB, tell your friend I'd be happy to help im build a UDS and get him on the right track if he lives close by.
'08 Weber Genesis Gasser
SJG Tamale Pot Mini Smoker (SJG was a rescue)
and a Pyro FIL
sfbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
norcaljr
Got Wood.

This guy does living social/groupon deals all the time for his class. I'm not paying $175 for any class that's for sure.
22.5 Weber Kettle Gold, 22.5 Weber WSM, Weber Summit S-420, La Caja China #2, Weber Q 200
norcaljr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
landarc

He should go out to Dave Bart's shop this Saturday and introduce himself to the Brethren, learn who is who there and start to learn from Dave. He can learn enough from the guys like Dave and John, who needs to pay.

That being said, the Butcher's BBQ class is what I mean by, there are some well known folks in CA, that would be well worth the time and money to learn from. If Thom, Ryan and Scott (shares) all say it is good, that is the class I would go to.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaljr View Post
This guy does living social/groupon deals all the time for his class. I'm not paying $175 for any class that's for sure.
Yup, $85 sounds a lot better than $175: http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1...evel-bbq-class

If your friend is more interested in making great backyard Que than competing then this could be another option: https://www.livingsocial.com/events/...q-101-workshop

The CA BBQ Institute instructors are experienced KCBS Competition cooks and some of them are Brethren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
He should go out to Dave Bart's shop this Saturday and introduce himself to the Brethren, learn who is who there and start to learn from Dave. He can learn enough from the guys like Dave and John, who needs to pay.

That being said, the Butcher's BBQ class is what I mean by, there are some well known folks in CA, that would be well worth the time and money to learn from. If Thom, Ryan and Scott (shares) all say it is good, that is the class I would go to.
He would be welcome at the Bash this Sat! There will be lots of folks out there willing to share some pointers.

I've heard good things about Butcher's class as well.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
swamprb

I really like the way CBBQI markets their classes with Livingsocial. Excellent way to reach the audience. $125 is a freaking bargain to learn from those pitmasters.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote