MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default First time chuck roast need advice

Looking to do something different so I plan on picking up a chuck roast tomm to throw on the drum. I have never done one before and im trying to figure out times, temps, rub, finishing sauce, and also do you prefer pulled or sliced. I've done some research and im seeing a lot of different ways people are doing them so I figured i'd ask here and see what you guys had to say

Old 05-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

So many ways to do a chuck roast. Two of my favorites.

1. Treat is a lot like brisket, basic rub of kosher salt, medium grind black pepper, granulated garlic and onion, and smoke until it is probe tender. You can actually slice it on a bias, and it makes great slice meat.

2. Do the same as above, but, once probe tender, cut into 1-1/2" chunks or so, coat thoroughly with a 50/50 mix of BBQ sauce and water/beer/juice and place in pan, cover for 30 minutes in smoker then remove cover and another 15 to 20 minutes. to cry up the sauce a bit.

Either way, I run my smoker between 270°F and 300°F

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

There are so many good things that you can do to a chuck! I usually cook it until probe tender and then pull, but sliced is good, too.

I switch off between seasoning chucks like a brisket or using fajita seasoning and making a mexican variation.

Larry Wolfe's Pepper Stout Beef is also a great variation on chuck...

http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10...tout-beef.html

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

I just did the pepper stout beef and it was delicious.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=2913696

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

What kind of cook times should I expect? I will probably be cooking around 275. I have read everything from 4 hours to 9hours. Also should I wrap after a certain temp if so what temp

Old 05-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
I just did the pepper stout beef and it was delicious.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh....php?p=2913696
That looks great ill be adding that to my list of things to do

Old 05-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
landarc

At 275°F, I would expect times around 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours per pound. Chuck has been a slower cook for me. However, I have found it to be quite tolerant of higher heats.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
lennitt
Full Fledged Farker

I have been wondering about injecting a chuckle with Butchers brisket injection, taking it to 170 ish. Foiling till probe tender then pulling the meat for sammmys. Thoughts on my thoughts?
lennitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks landarc. So if im understanding correctly I can cook till probe tender and slice or pull? Or do I have to pull it from the pit at a lower temp to slice?

Old 05-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
16Adams

Plus 1 Landarc's advice. Catch the drippings-refrigerator overnight and lose the fat layer. Juices taste great in soups, stews, beans, chili etc etc